LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I need help - engine stalls when i wiggle coil wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 10:39 AM

I need help - engine stalls when i wiggle coil wire

This sounds like it would have a simple solution but i tried replacing the coil connector and using different wires and it still stumbles or cuts off completely when I wiggle the two wires that come out of the MSD ignition coil. When I used the new connector it worked for a while even while I played with the wire, but after about 15 minutes of idling it shut off again. Could these wires be getting too hot? Could my coil be bad? Does anyone have any suggestions - I would appreciate any help!!! It can't be by chancet that when wiggling the wires the engine cuts off, but it seems strange that even with a new coil connector and new wires the problem still exists to a lesser degree. Thanks in advance for you help.
Old 08-25-2004, 10:42 AM

Re: I need help - engine stalls when i wiggle coil wire

One thing that I might add is that the engine was recently removed and when I first got it running the little pink wire going to my MAF shorted out and blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse and have had no problems with that since then. Maybe the two problems are related, I don't know.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:06 AM

How do the mating pins in the coil look? If wiggling causes that, you've got an intermittent wire or connector somewhere that's not obvious. I would try swapping the coil...still got your stock one?
Old 08-26-2004, 02:40 AM

i would have to say, that if it ONLY does it when you wiggle the wire, its got to be internal in the coil... and you replaced the wire? are you speaking of the coil to cap wire? or the actual electrical connector on the coil? if its the plug wire going from coil to cap, chances are your connection inside is bad, or the coil is just too hot for the wires, try some bigger heat resistant wires, and try shooting some di electric grease inside the boot of the spark plug wire going to the coil.... that may help.... if its the connector itself? try a replacement of the connector itself, and if that doesnt work, its got to be the coil....