LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

i melted my battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 12:13 AM

i melted my battery

today i took my car for a drive for the first time since i built my new motor..aside from the normal smoke from the header paint burning and the lack of a clutch (another post) it was going ok...i make a right hand turn to go back to my hous and all the sudden like instantly, i loose all power...so i get off the side of the road and figure im gonna see my starter wire melted..i look under the car and there intact...i then look at the ignition wire on the MSD box and thats good...i finally look at the battery and as soon as i touched the positive termial (side mount) the entire terminal came out of the battery...i looked around closer and i saw the metal were the bolt goes into the terminal like pouring out..it go so hot that it melted the whole positive terminal out...

why did this happen?....i have an MSD 6AL and i hooked the big red wire to the battery + just like it says to...so why did it get so hot?...i remeber feeling my alternator before i drove it and it was very hot....

the belt goes over the top of the alt pully and around the PS pully the under the crank so it spins it clockwise correct?.... (3rd gen brackets/acceseries)

thanks guys

Rob
Old 10-11-2003, 02:51 PM

i went today to have the ALT tested...and it failed due to no stator volts...so i get a new bat and ALT under warranty...and i go to put then in...as soon as i hook the battery i here this grinding type noise..so i go over the the passenger side and touch the battery terminal and look to see were its coming from...

i look down by the starter and i see that the main power wire (battery +) was melted to the header and the power wire was welded to the header tube...