LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I got it! And I'm crossing my fingers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Banned

Smile I got it! And I'm crossing my fingers!

I just ordered my LT4 Hot Cam kit through www.gmpartsdirect.com about 10 minutes ago. The P/N is 12480002 that I ordered. This IS the correct P/N, isn't it?

Someone also recommended to order a timing chain setup. The P/N that was recommended was 12370835 but it didn't look like it was adapatable with the LT4 Hot Cam.

What good is a different timing chain going to do, anyway?

I'm pretty psyched. I'm FINALLY getting somewhere with this damned car! Ok, I could have a long time ago, but just didn't want to spend the money. Well, now I want to spend the money.

Before any of these, I need to get my transmission fixed. Chesapeake Transmission couldn't do the job right, so I need to get the car into a QUALIFIED shop. I've got a trans leak and I've lost some power SOMEWHERE due to the transmission dropping down a gear, then flinging up to about 5000rpm and THEN starting to take off. By this time, the bone stock 2003 Mustang GT is 3 cars ahead of me.

Next on the roster after getting Dipsh*t Transmission's faux-paux fixed.........

1. Full cat-back exhaust

2. Y-pipe

3. Headers (brand suggestions and prices, please!) (Long Tubes or Shorties? )

4. GM F1 Cold Air Intake (possibility- does it flow well?)

5. LT4 knock module

6. ECM reprogram (after engine rebuild and Hot Cam install)

7. 3.42s or 3.55 gears

8. Vigilante 2400 stall

9. Transmission cooler (recommendations, please)

10. Shift kit (recommendations, please)
Old 04-15-2003, 09:32 PM

for the exhaust its very subjective to sound and the money you want to spend.

1.If your rich and dont care, just remember you get what you pay for B&B tri flo and corsa, though the 2 most expensive are the best quality and sound.

Though Hooker, SLP, and Borla(yes i know you dont like them, but it is a good exhaust) are all great brands for a little cheaper. Though the all stainless borla is gonna hold up forever. And SLP and Borla have to flow the best out of any other exhaust. And in your other post i wouldnt get edelbrock, they seem to make mostly crap IMO.

2.As for headers. if you can Hooker Lt's the first time, if not SLP or Mac would be the only shorties i would go with.

3.y-pipe you can get with the shorties or have your local muffler shop bend you one. Or buy the y in summit for the hookers(again if you have the cash).

4.For CAI, just go with K&N, SLP, Moroso.

5.Lt4 KM cheap nuff said $32 brand new.

6.PCMforless.com with the mods you have seems like a great idea. If you have a laptop and prefer to be able to change it freely, buy tunercat or LT1 edit

7. As for gears anything above 3.42 and below 4.10 you should be happy with. Depending on how much driving you do i would go 3.73's

8. im not sure what size stall to have with the Hotcam but that seems to be a reasonable stall for it.

And the others just ask any auto guy for.

If i was budget minded i would go this set-up.
Mac-shorties and y-pipe, SLP CAI, (hooker, SLP loudmouth, or borla), tunercat, etc etc

if i was rich and didnt care

Hooker LT's coated, y-pipe, SLP CAI, B&B or Corsa, tunercat or LT1 edit, etc etc

Well sorry for the length i hope i helped
Old 04-16-2003, 05:22 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 16blckz28
for the exhaust its very subjective to sound and the money you want to spend.

1.If your rich and dont care, just remember you get what you pay for B&B tri flo and corsa, though the 2 most expensive are the best quality and sound.

Though Hooker, SLP, and Borla(yes i know you dont like them, but it is a good exhaust) are all great brands for a little cheaper. Though the all stainless borla is gonna hold up forever. And SLP and Borla have to flow the best out of any other exhaust. And in your other post i wouldnt get edelbrock, they seem to make mostly crap IMO.

2.As for headers. if you can Hooker Lt's the first time, if not SLP or Mac would be the only shorties i would go with.

3.y-pipe you can get with the shorties or have your local muffler shop bend you one. Or buy the y in summit for the hookers(again if you have the cash).

4.For CAI, just go with K&N, SLP, Moroso.

5.Lt4 KM cheap nuff said $32 brand new.

6.PCMforless.com with the mods you have seems like a great idea. If you have a laptop and prefer to be able to change it freely, buy tunercat or LT1 edit

7. As for gears anything above 3.42 and below 4.10 you should be happy with. Depending on how much driving you do i would go 3.73's

8. im not sure what size stall to have with the Hotcam but that seems to be a reasonable stall for it.

And the others just ask any auto guy for.

If i was budget minded i would go this set-up.
Mac-shorties and y-pipe, SLP CAI, (hooker, SLP loudmouth, or borla), tunercat, etc etc

if i was rich and didnt care

Hooker LT's coated, y-pipe, SLP CAI, B&B or Corsa, tunercat or LT1 edit, etc etc

Well sorry for the length i hope i helped
Thanks for the great (but lenghthy) post.

About going with the Hooker longtubes... Will I have ground clearance problems with them? That is my only concern about them. I've heard that by lowering the car even a tad will cause problems with clearance. I plan on doing some suspension work, and putting on some "sport" springs or something. I don't like the huge wheel-well gap of the stock suspension. I obviously don't plan on dropping the car in the weeds, but I'd like to give it a sporty stance.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:32 AM

If you're going with the LT4 Hotcam and 3.73's, I would get a vigilante 3200 torque converter instead. Or a 5-disc vigilante 4000, depending on how insane you want to be
Old 04-16-2003, 07:33 AM

So Dan, did they tell you it was still backordered or are they in stock again? I called last month and they were out.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by Dan Oldham
About going with the Hooker longtubes... Will I have ground clearance problems with them? That is my only concern about them. I've heard that by lowering the car even a tad will cause problems with clearance. I plan on doing some suspension work, and putting on some "sport" springs or something. I don't like the huge wheel-well gap of the stock suspension. I obviously don't plan on dropping the car in the weeds, but I'd like to give it a sporty stance.
i went with and know a few others with the sportlines and LT's and dont have much problems with them with 17" ss rims.

Though now that i sold them and went back to stock(for a little while, its killin me) i seem to drag a little more.

But the only place im hitting stuff is on my driveway(out in the country) in town i have no problems at all. Once you get lowering springs you have to learn how to leave steep inclines and what not anyways.

I know of some people on the board that have the prokit and LT's.

So you should be ok.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:35 AM

On the Vigilante, please get either the 2800 or 3200 the first time. Remember, you get one free restall with the Vigi if you don't like the first pick. I've got the 2800 with a stock motor and it is great. The fast Hotcam cars have at least a 2800 or 3200 stall.

Edit: You might PM Ken95Z28 to see what his Hotcam setup looked like before he changed it.

Last edited by Raped Ape; 04-16-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:42 AM

sounds like a good route to go but i would definitly do the programming last because you need to program for rear gears etc.. so the more you have done the more you can program for.. Your gonna love that cam sound!!!!
Old 04-16-2003, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by doodad
So Dan, did they tell you it was still backordered or are they in stock again? I called last month and they were out.
Why would they have told me anything? It's a mail-order website. I put in my Credit Card #, printed my invoice, and now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver my parts. If they're back-ordered, I dunno anything about it.

I'm gonna be pretty upset if by next week I don't get my $505 (including s&h)purchase and they tell me I'm going to have to wait for 3 months or whatever....