LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hypertech problem, tech line says "SOL", crappy service

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Hypertech problem, tech line says "SOL", crappy service

When i was 17 4 years ago, had no credit cards or a way to buy things, i had my friend's mom buy me a hypertech power programmer 3 from summit under her name and i paid her in cash.

I recently redid the whole motor to what is in the sig. and figured i would part with my old pcm and the programmer since i was obd1 now.

The hypertech programmer would not deprogram my stock pcm. I ended up sending the programmer to hypertech and they said that my name was not the same as the original purchaser. I figured it was under my name when i sent it in since it has been almost 4 years since i purchased the unit.

They also said the unit powered up fine and sent it back. I of course tried it again and same problem, it gets to the test scan and says "hardware failure, call hypertech"

I called them again and told them that the programmer has only been used on one vin number, it was a gift, and it should be covered under warranty. The guy at hypertech finally said ok, we will fix it but we know you are going to sell it since it can't work for your motor anyways. I said well i just want it to be working since it should be covered under warranty and i need my old pcm to be back to stock since i was going to get a core refund from ion for the obd1 conversion. The guy assured me it would work after the reflashing. And i told him i would test it out when it came back.

of course they flashed the pcm and the hypertech back to stock and sent it back.

I had the same problem again, the programmer programmed but wouldn't deprogram. I called them again and the guy said well are you sure cause it worked fine on our test bench. They had me disconnect my alarm, my cd player, and that is about all the electrical hookups i have in my car. They said it could be the car causing the failure.

Still it did not work, the guy said well we aren't going to give you another programmer so you can go and sell a new one, so just keep trying and that is about it, and he hung up on me.

what kind of bs service is that. I am not sure what i should do, and i can't get my old pcm back to stock, and i have this programmer that i wanted to sell that i can't.

I did nothing wrong and should still have warranty since the original purchaser bought the programmer for my intended vehicle and that is the only vehicle it has been used on but they don't want to take care of my problem or help me out in any way.

just wondering if anyone has any opinions on what i should do or if i can even do anything.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:26 PM

Re: Hypertech problem, tech line says "SOL", crappy service

actually, i would need this moved to the computer diagnostics forum.

sorry
Old 10-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Was the MSD box connected when you were trying?

I've heard of MSD boxes causing problems communicating with the PCM before.

It does suck that you were treated they you were though.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:31 PM

yeah, i disconnected the msd box and everything else that i could think of.

my car is pretty much stripped at the moment, so it should work in my car.

if only i could try it on another 96 lt1 around san diego to see if it is the car or not.