LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

huge..huge.. dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 02:37 AM

huge..huge.. dilemma

Well I just had my engine rebuilt, everything new, anyway I got it in the car and I was going to start it. I was told with the last lt1 that I had rebiult to prime it to pull the coil wire off and turn it over for a few seconds till I got oil presssure. Well I did that with this one and I never ogt anything. I even pulled the pressure sending unit to make sure that I had oil to it and I didnt. so any suggestions.thanks
Old 06-08-2003, 02:47 AM

Cool

You've already primed it, now start You won't get any PSI at all if you just sit and crank it. It's just not turning fast enough I don't believe. Mine never did register oil pressure while priming.

-Shannon
Old 06-08-2003, 03:10 AM

how long should I let it run before I shut it off because I let it run later for about 4-5 seconds then I shut it off, I didnt want to run it any longer without oil pressure
Old 06-08-2003, 03:30 AM

Sounds like you already primed it. But, when you do put your oil pump on, it is good to initially pack the gears of the oil pump lightly with a light grease or vaseline to get it started.

That being said, you can get by for a few seconds without any damage. Since this is a new motor, you've got gobs of assembly lube in there. If you don't trust your gauge, then remove a valve cover. Have a buddy stand by and watch for oil through the pushrods to the rockers. Should be there in a sec or two. If not, then shut down.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:38 AM

the shop that I had build it is a very reputable shop. But I will have to try that and remove a valve cover. but shouldnt I be getting oilt to the sending unit even when it is turning over to start?
Old 06-08-2003, 01:18 PM

anyone else have any ideas
Old 06-08-2003, 01:39 PM

Assuming that the sending unit is connected properly, not damaged during the install, or fail on its own. Also, the connector could have been damaged or the wire "smashed" during the engine transplant. No big deal. The proof is if you get the oil up top which would indicated that it is circulating through the oil gallery properly. Let us know if you see oil... black gold... texas tea.
Old 06-08-2003, 02:50 PM

Cool

You should get oil pressure after about 3-4 seconds of running. Your guage could be fugged though.

Might wanna try running, then pulling off the oil filter and see if it's filled yet. If you didn't fill it before putting it on, it will still be dry if you have 0 PSI.

You did make sure there was oil in it correct ?

-Shannon
Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 PM

If it were my car, I'd take the intake off and prime it the right way through the oil pump drive and eliminate all the questions about the pump the gage and any others. It's an awful lot of money to screw with otherwise.

Just my .02