LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Howdy, Need some advice new here

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Howdy, Need some advice new here

Well hello to all the gear heads in here, I am a new member here and would like to introduce my self. I am a 34 YR old power plant operator from AZ, and I have recently obtained a 93' Z-28 LT1 bone stock. I had bought it for my son for his good grades and behavior, but he decided he wanted to smoke left-handed cigs, and party rather than a free Z-28. So enough of that, I am not the best car mech but I have good common sense with mech stuff, never done a rebuild and or street upgrades.

I am looking for some basic upgrade advice to get going would be nice. I plan to pull the motor and rebuild it as much as I can myself, the motor has 160k miles and currently has a intake manifold leak, maybe a rear main leak too, looking advice on upgraded 6 speed tranny, rear end and as far as the motor goes, upgraded heads maybe cam and lifters. But I am shooting in the dark, as this would be my first muscle car attempt so any parts advice would be appreciated and sorry for the long-winded post.

P.S If post is in wrong place sorry please relocate

Last edited by Rooster5283; 09-05-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:43 AM

Any help to get me started would be nice, im gonna pull the motor but need a starting point. And I can handel it from there, a list of to does for a mild/to semi heavy build would be great thx.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:09 AM

Welcome to the site. This: http://web.camaross.com/forums/search.php
... is your best friend for this board. The answers you seek have been covered ALOT in this very forum.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 AM

Welcome to the board!
I hope the manifold and rear main fix go well for you, are you planning on doing those yourself?
The manifold should be pretty straitforward, the rear main seal will be a little more involved.

Typical first mods are a cold air intake, 3" catback exhaust and a new chip.
93s use replaceable proms, there are several great mail-order tunes available.
Those three are easy to install and prvide relatively good HP/$.

The search feature is great for looking up questions that get asked often, but there
is nothing wrong with posting a question. There are some great people on here who
are more than happy to help.

Many people on here have links in their signatures to websites with details on their builds.
I've found that to be a great way to see what others are up to and see what might work
out well for you.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 AM

www.shbox.com is your new best friend

thanks to our very own shoebox
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rooster5283

I am looking for some basic upgrade advice to get going would be nice. I plan to pull the motor and rebuild it as much as I can myself, the motor has 160k miles and currently has a intake manifold leak, maybe a rear main leak too, looking advice on upgraded 6 speed tranny, rear end and as far as the motor goes, upgraded heads maybe cam and lifters. But I am shooting in the dark, as this would be my first muscle car attempt so any parts advice would be appreciated and sorry for the long-winded post.

Welcome

With 160k on the engine, you will probably want to to do a rebuild with heads and cam. Check around your area and see if you can find a REPUTABLE engine shop to rebuild the bottom end. If you don't want to fool with that, there are places that you can order assembled short blocks from (Golen www.golenengineservice.com/).

Depending on what your budget is like, there are a couple of places that offer heads/cam packages for our cars. They are Lloyd Elliot www.eportworks.com/ and Advanced Induction www.advancedinduction.com/. Both are good. If money does not permit porting then you can go with a good set of NSA roller rockers (COMP ProMags), hardened pushrods, guideplates, beehive springs (PAC1218's or COMP 918's) and "bigger" cam (COMP XFI466, CC503 .... ) and a tune for the chip.

Some mods that you can do now are Cold Air Induction,52mm throttle body, Headers - shorties if you gotta pass smog, Long Tubes if you "have inspection friends" or can get a custom y-pipe for the cat made. You will need these supporting mods anyways.

As far as the rear goes 4.10's work well with a stick. Be careful since the 7.5" rear that's in there is the weakest link.

Last edited by ricehammer; 09-06-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 PM

Thankyou for all the replys ya'll it will be a timely process I think cause I am determined to do all I can myself but fun I do believe....ya know. I was thinking to start off is to pull the motor and tear down and hot tank it...if i can find one nearby that is. Thanks again ya'll
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Rooster5283
I plan to pull the motor and rebuild it as much as I can myself, the motor has 160k miles and currently has a intake manifold leak, maybe a rear main leak too, looking advice on upgraded 6 speed tranny, rear end and as far as the motor goes, upgraded heads maybe cam and lifters. But I am shooting in the dark, as this would be my first muscle car attempt so any parts advice would be appreciated and sorry for the long-winded post.

Glad to see another AZ guy on here. Since I rebuilt mine on my own, I know it can be done. As for 6 speed, you should not have to do anything to it except maybe a typical rebuild after all those years...or maybe not.

I had Basko Engines in Mesa do my short block and port my heads and I was very happy with the results. I think first thing to do is pull the engine and while you do, do searches on what others have done.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by 95Blackhawk
Glad to see another AZ guy on here. Since I rebuilt mine on my own, I know it can be done. As for 6 speed, you should not have to do anything to it except maybe a typical rebuild after all those years...or maybe not.

I had Basko Engines in Mesa do my short block and port my heads and I was very happy with the results. I think first thing to do is pull the engine and while you do, do searches on what others have done.
Sweet phoenix I am in surprise, origanaly from TX but here now, I have to pull the motor I think I have to check the rear main and repair the intake manifold for sure. I am thinking about a couple of options for the motor. Looking at a couple head packages and valve train packages for her I want a drivable sleeper high 11's to mid 12's. There is a Trick Flow 200cc street/strip package I Like. And some other bolt on goodies thanks to ricehammer

http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiP...TFSAFRLTx.html

Last edited by Rooster5283; 09-06-2007 at 11:39 PM.