LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Howards Rocker Arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 PM

Howards Rocker Arms

Anyone have any experience with these Howards rockers?

Howards Cams 90085 - Howards Cams Billet Aluminum Rocker Arms - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thinking of using them with some LT4 springs and an AFR hydra-rev kit (slp shorties and cai are bolt-ons, stock LT1 cam/heads.) These say standard body but look more like a narrow body? Will they fit without cutting valve covers? Noisy? Seem a bit better built than the scorpions but still budget priced?

Have heard negatives about the proforms; no idea about "summit" house brand. Any other sub-$300 sets I am missing; want to stay SA and 3/8 stud. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 AM

Re: Howards Rocker Arms

Originally Posted by pgerst
Anyone have any experience with these Howards rockers?

Howards Cams 90085 - Howards Cams Billet Aluminum Rocker Arms - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Thinking of using them with some LT4 springs and an AFR hydra-rev kit (slp shorties and cai are bolt-ons, stock LT1 cam/heads.) These say standard body but look more like a narrow body? Will they fit without cutting valve covers? Noisy? Seem a bit better built than the scorpions but still budget priced?

Have heard negatives about the proforms; no idea about "summit" house brand. Any other sub-$300 sets I am missing; want to stay SA and 3/8 stud. Thanks.
Don't know about their rockers but I do know they put out quality products as I run their springs on my AFR's as that is what LE spec'd out for me.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM

dont get the summit house brand. there crap. I need to get different ones and i've got 5000 miles on mine, they make more noise then my stock 125k mile engine did
Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM

I've never used Howards Rockers, however if you're wanting a budget rocker I'd look into Harland Sharp. Made in Ohio, lifetime warranty, and been around a long time. They are innovating many things that you won't see on LT1 boards, so they'll be around in case you ever need a warranty. However I will say I have Comp Ultra Pro Mags and Stainless Pro Mags. I've had Cranes, they aren't bad either, however I'm not sure what state Crane Cams is in anymore. Had old Pro Mags, Scorpion, and LT4 [Crane] as well. Crower in top notch too, but pricey.

Pro Comp, ebay, Summit, etc "no name" brands don't belong in any decent motor. Don't risk your motor on that chinese junk.

PS: Why do you want a Hydra-Rev kit?

-Dustin-
Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the responses. I looked at the harland sharps but think that they all require guideplates; initially I was thinking to stay with SAR (but am going back and forth on that.)

As far as using the hydra-rev, because I have it sitting around in my garage (used ebay impulse purchase) though it is a little beat up (springs have gouged the aluminum block) and not sure if I am going to use it as will require machining and some seats as well as removing the intake to install. My thinking is that removing some effort for the LT4 springs in keeping the lifters on the cam may help the valve springs out a bit in controlling the valve? Or it may just wait until my 400 rwhp CA smog legal motor project to be used...