LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how would you get 300hp from lt1

Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 PM

how would you get 300hp from lt1

Well i've got a 94 z28 totally stock except for a kn filter. Anyway it got to 113000 and the head gasket blew and the garage got the motor pulled today what kind of parts could i put on or what could i do to get 300 horses and keep it a daily drive with the stock cam. If i had my heads ported could i get it? Or could a nice set of performer heads get me that 25 exxtra horses I just want it to be totally reliable and have a little more something
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM

if you ported heads you could easily get 300 HP, but then with that much on the clock you have to remember what other engine components will be pushed harder, the bottom end should be good if your pistons are still sealing well.

i got 314 RWhp with all bolts ons. no enging work.
Headers, Electric Water pump, cat back, tuned computer! (a must), airfoil might help... welcome to the forums. i have learned enough here to build what is in my sig! hah have fun
Old 12-19-2008, 04:46 PM

ported/milled heads, tune, headers, intake
Old 12-19-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wsuggs
Well i've got a 94 z28 totally stock except for a kn filter. Anyway it got to 113000 and the head gasket blew and the garage got the motor pulled today what kind of parts could i put on or what could i do to get 300 horses and keep it a daily drive with the stock cam. If i had my heads ported could i get it? Or could a nice set of performer heads get me that 25 exxtra horses I just want it to be totally reliable and have a little more something
Before you go ahead and start throwing in internal components, you'll want to concentrate on bolt-on components in order to sustain any internal work. And to hit 300RWHP, you don't even need to go internal.

Good headers, CAI, intake modifications, a good high-flow exhaust system, a PCM program/dyno tune, etc., can net you 300RWHP. But if you MUST go internal right off of the bat, you can install the LT4 hotcam kit. Do a search and you'll receive more info than you'd ever want.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:10 PM

thanks alot, We're probably not going to do anything internal but I am getting a full rebuild kit with forged pistons standard size or a minimal bore if he has to. we also have a place here in sc down the road called dover cylinder heads and was going to take them by there to see if they can port them maybe my stock intake too. Also probably going to do headers but i would really like to have true duals on it if there is a way to have it done. Also what head gasket would you put on it because a blown head gasket in this car costs a fortune not scared at all about the motor work it was getting the motor out that i didn't want to full with
Old 12-19-2008, 05:12 PM

i just pulled my motor. it sucked. but it was from the top, from the bottom i have heard some guys (with proper shop) do it in a little over an hour.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Yeah he said they dropped mine from the bottom and he sounded ;ike it was cake but i didn't want any of the pulling of it i was scared and even extra strength vagisil couldn't bring me to it
Old 12-19-2008, 05:26 PM

thanks alot, We're probably not going to do anything internal but I am getting a full rebuild kit with forged pistons standard size or a minimal bore if he has to. we also have a place here in sc down the road called dover cylinder heads and was going to take them by there to see if they can port them maybe my stock intake too. Also probably going to do headers but i would really like to have true duals on it if there is a way to have it done. Also what head gasket would you put on it because a blown head gasket in this car costs a fortune not scared at all about the motor work it was getting the motor out that i didn't want to full with
The intake manifold does not need to be touched - put the money toward exhaust or CAI.

And if you're replacing the head gasket on only one head, use the stock GM head gasket (part number 10168457).

True dual exhaust is very possible - do a search and you'll find a wealth of information.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:36 PM

If that's all you're looking for right now, a CAI, catback, and longtubes will put you there, considering you don't have any engine problems. Ported heads would put you there as well, but exhaust would be a better bang for the buck.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:59 PM

It may suprise you to find out the Edelbrock heads are a very bad choice, do a lot more research before you buy anything like that.

300+ rwhp is possible boltons 400+ is daily drivable with head((ported stock) and cam if the shortblock is up to the task but your's may have been wounded by the head gasket troubles.

Lots of room to go bigger on the cam without compromising drivability.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 PM

I can tell you that a decked head underdrive pulley and intake elbow gave my 148000 mile lt1 245 at the rears with an automatic do the math that translates to about 305 to 310 at the crank a good set of headers with that set up will put a bit higher as well.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 PM

boltons
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Green96Z
If that's all you're looking for right now, a CAI, catback, and longtubes will put you there, considering you don't have any engine problems. Ported heads would put you there as well, but exhaust would be a better bang for the buck.
+1 here, if your only going for 300hp, bolt ons first it may save you alot of work, and some money to!

Headers, exhaust, CAI, pulleys (some people dislike these), computer tune. Then look for other items. The computer tune should try to be done "once" so it does not cost you multiple tunes. Sometimes you can't help that.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Administrator

....what could i do to get 300 horses and keep it a daily drive with the stock cam. If i had my heads ported could i get it? Or could a nice set of performer heads get me that 25 exxtra horses....
If I read this correctly.... you are asking what it would take to add 25 HP to the 275 flywheel HP that your car already makes. Cold air intake, 3" catback and a mail-order tune will get you that easilly. Throw in the throttle body coolant bypass for a 6 HP bonus.

Or are you actually looking for 300 HP at the rear wheels?
Old 12-20-2008, 09:48 AM

Cai or Ls1 lid
mac mids or Lts
cat back
1.6 rr or(get a nice spring and go 1.7)
52mm,bypass mod
160° stat
TUNE,TUNE,TUNE cannot stress that word enough!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how would you get 300hp from lt1