LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How should I refresh my tired LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 05:07 PM

How should I refresh my tired LT1?

Alright, I'm saving up to get engine rebuilt and have a bitchin powerplant I've been told to go straight to a 383 setup while it's out and be done with it, but I've noticed that a lot of the fastest people are on stock bottom ends... Ultimately I'd like to achieve low 12s/maybe high 11s OR trap around 112mph naturally aspirated in the 1/4 mile, and I'll consider throwing a 75 to 100 shot of nitrous at it. I've been told that most of the money should be spent on the top end(heads/cam/RRs/springs/etc). I'll also need to do some routine maintenance stuff like a new timing chain, EGR valve, O2 sensors, spark plugs/wires, and probably one or two other small things I'm forgetting.

I'm going to get some LT headers and a Y pipe installed before I do anything else, along with a CAI(though I may just ghetto-fabricate my own), and then I'll save for the rebuild.

I'm planning on getting it done at Virginia Speed since it's real close to my house and they seem like a real nice shop, I just got back from checking out their facility. Labor is $75/hr as long as I use their stuff(which is basically anything, they have their own machine shop in house).

What do you guys suggest I do to save some money, and still accomplish having a quick, streetable, ride?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:19 PM

Re: How should I refresh my tired LT1?

Originally Posted by flatlander757
Alright, I'm saving up to get engine rebuilt and have a bitchin powerplant I've been told to go straight to a 383 setup while it's out and be done with it, but I've noticed that a lot of the fastest people are on stock bottom ends... Ultimately I'd like to achieve low 12s/maybe high 11s OR trap around 112mph naturally aspirated in the 1/4 mile, and I'll consider throwing a 75 to 100 shot of nitrous at it. I've been told that most of the money should be spent on the top end(heads/cam/RRs/springs/etc). I'll also need to do some routine maintenance stuff like a new timing chain, EGR valve, O2 sensors, spark plugs/wires, and probably one or two other small things I'm forgetting.

I'm going to get some LT headers and a Y pipe installed before I do anything else, along with a CAI(though I may just ghetto-fabricate my own), and then I'll save for the rebuild.

I'm planning on getting it done at Virginia Speed since it's real close to my house and they seem like a real nice shop, I just got back from checking out their facility. Labor is $75/hr as long as I use their stuff(which is basically anything, they have their own machine shop in house).

What do you guys suggest I do to save some money, and still accomplish having a quick, streetable, ride?
If it's tired in the sence that the rings are no longer sealing well then it needs a rebuilt. New bigger piston, rings, bearings...
You need to have a good (not necesurly a bulletproof) bottom end to support the power needed to get those numbers.