LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to put in water pump shaft seal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:21 PM

How to put in water pump shaft seal?

I am putting in a new opti and when I got it all apart I noticed the shaft seal for the water pump drive gear is bad so I pull it out but now I can,t get the new one in without trashing it, I just destroyed one and I need tips on how to get this new one in without tearing it up.
Any tips on how to keep the inner lip from folding out while I am trying to install it?
Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:58 PM

When i did mine i just used i deep well socket the extened to the outer perimeter on the seal and gently tapped it in
Old 08-26-2003, 10:38 PM

Before you seat the seal into the timing cover you need to get it onto the drive shaft without damaging either of the two lips in the seal. I used the water pump drive shaft sleeve as it is the exact size of the surface that the seal must ride on and prevent an oil leak. First polish this sleeve and get it as clean as you can. Put a thin layer of grease on the sleeve. Then gently work the seal onto the shaft with the two seals facing their intended direction. Then place the sleeve on the splined drive shaft exiting the timing cover. Work the seal onto the drive shaft and do this slowly and carefully. After it has been placed in its sealing location you can drive the whole seal into the timing cover using a socket the exact size of the seal but not larger. This advice comes to you from a guy that had to do this 3 times to get it right...me! Don't skip any corners....change the two O rings on the drive shaft also.

Hope this works....it better because you will have an oil leak if you don't get it right!
Old 08-27-2003, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I thought this would be a no brainer but its harder than it looks.
I have a mechanic friend who works on vettes for a living and he says he can get it in no sweat so I will use your advice and his skills and hopefully get the thing going by tomorrow evening.
Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:56 AM
Banned

good luck man!! i ended up saying FU*K IT and threw an electric WP on just so i could bypass that STUPID THING all together man that thing was the biggest PITA!! for months i drove around with a leak that i could never figure out what it was.. thought it was the oil pan, timing seal... and all this time and all that oil it turned out to be that STUPID FU*KIN WP SEAL errr i HATE THAT THING

shew ok im done
Old 08-27-2003, 04:35 AM

I know what you mean about that seal, I too had a oil leak I could never find, was not much just frustrated the hell outta me I could not find it. Pulled the WP off and BINGO!
Hopefully I can get that thing in there today.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:56 PM

JBirdSS, your advice worked like a charm.
Got it all in and running.
Took a bit of work to get it on the shaft but once it was on it slid right in there.

Thanks Again.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:57 PM

Thumbs up

Outstanding. Good to see a success story in the room.