LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Having a few problems and need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:12 PM

Having a few problems and need some help.

Hey guys, I just have a few problems, Ill list them here and if some of you can answer what you know randomly that would be good. Thanks

1) I was driving the car once and the ABS INOP light came on, it just popped up and I have never seen this before. But from then on I never saw it again. I just wanna make sure that I can eliminate that completely.

2) I removed the low coolant sensor, but I am wondering if this will cuase a problem. I want the low coolant light to dissapear, does that mean I have to reaplce this part with a new one? (I am sure the low coolant sensor is messed up)

3) Anyone in San Jose Bay area have a pcm scanner that I can use for 5 minutes, I just need to know why my SES light is on.

4) How can I properly fully remove my front bumper so it can be painted?

5) I am planning on touching up some parts around the car, cuase I do have pretty big scratches, do you reccomend a type of paint to use, or a procedure in which I should paint. (black car)

6) Anyone have a single in dual out muffler thats aftermarket i.e. flowmaster, borla. I just need it to be from the muffler back to the tips. Im trying to get for around 50$ or trade for my single in single out flowmaster racing muffler plus pay for the difference.

7) My brakes make loud schreeching noices when I softly brake. The front rotors and pads have been recently replaced, so I am assuming its the back brakes, although those are aftermarket ones. Is there anything I can apply to the brakes to make them be quiet? I think I have heard of a substance people use to make the brakes quiet. Or can I just change my back brake pads becuase they are wearing down? I heard that even if you replace them with new pads it might still make noise.

Last edited by camaroman11; 08-28-2003 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:59 PM

I think you would have better luck getting your questions answered if they were in separate posts. I would replace the low coolant sensor. If you don't have the ABS light on now dont' worry about it. I think everyone here has gotten a random ABS light once before in their car. Go to autozone and they will scan your car for free.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:12 PM

1. Check the third brake light lamp sockets and replace the lamps while your there. The ABS circuit runs through there so a bad connection or burnt lamp will give you an ABS light.

2. Replace it. Make sure you're not loosing coolant like from a failing water pump.

3. Check Auto Zone and check all your fuses under the hood.

7. Replace you back pads, there is a compound to apply to the backplate of the pad but I don't know what it's called.

Last edited by Lyle A; 08-28-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:16 PM

I have a problem with the Autozone free scan... I have a 1995 LT1 and their code scanner would not link. It would try to read my PCM and I am wondering if the Hypertech programmer is causing the problem.

Under light load while driving the car stumbles or surges. Other than that it runs fine... but that darn SES light stays on.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:21 PM

I just say Auto Zone because it's free. I don't trust them. I have a friend with a Snap-On scanner. It works great and it's free also.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:42 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help. But the autozone in california is not allowed to scan cars anymore becuase they are getting sued. This is very gay.

Lyle A..... your friend has a scanner? Do you think it would be cool if we met up and checked out the situation? I am in San jose California, Off of highway 101 and yerba beuna/ tully road
Old 08-28-2003, 10:45 PM

Well if we were just a few miles apart I could arrange it, but it wouldn't be worth it for either you or me to drive the distance for that. Check your local shops and you will probably find someone who will do it cheap.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:59 PM

O hahha. I didnt realize it would be a far distance. I thought you lived here in the city. its ok. thanks though
Old 08-28-2003, 11:01 PM

No problem, I'm about 100 miles from you.