LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How long to install a hotcam kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 12:28 PM

How long to install a hotcam kit?

How many hrs/days does the install take?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:03 PM

I took my entire spring break last year to do mine. Basically about a week but it was the first time I had ever done any work like this, and often times when I got stuck, I would have to post a question on here and wait for help (didn't take long). Anyhow, I just really took my time at it with a few hours here and there, also I had a lot of trouble trying to get the balancer/hub off. Also, I couldn't get the fuel lines to disconnect. Wasn't that big of a deal, I just put the fuel rails off to the side with the lines still connected. The other part that really sucked was trying to get the timing cover back on with the oil pan and make a good seal. The car didn't leak oil at first but now it seems that it's leaking from this area, (just a little bit). The install if pretty straight forward and the actual cam swap takes all of about 5min. Its just all of the disassembly and reassembling that takes time. Also changing the valve springs was kind of a pain because I left my heads on the car and had to use the little compresser that screws down to compress the valves springs. One thing to keep in mind is that the pullers needed to remove the balancer/hub can be rented for free at Autozone. I think they also rent the spring compresser you'll need if your leaving the heads on the car. Bottom line is this job isn't that hard if you just take your time at it. Theres plenty of people on here that can help you out when you get stuck. Also, by doing it yourself, you'll save over $1K that can be spent on more mods! Have fun!
Old 01-23-2003, 01:08 PM

One other thing I forgot. A computer tune is not really needed for the hotcam kit. But I would highly recommend it. With street tires and mods in the sig, I was only able to go 13.72 @ 103 before computer tunning. After a computer tune by Bryan at www.pcmforless.com I was able to run a 13.16@107. The weather was a little better but the car really woke up after a computer tune.

Aaron
Old 01-23-2003, 03:02 PM

You can do it in a weekend...the full weekend. Especially if you haven't done a cam swap before..
Old 01-23-2003, 03:12 PM

Here's an install guide with pics. It has really helped me out:
http://www.streetillusionsracing.com...ll/Cam/cam.htm
Good luck and enjoy ,

Kyle
Old 01-23-2003, 03:54 PM

I've done my cam enough times to where i can get it done in about 5 hours.. but i also dont have a/c to worry aoubt.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:14 PM

Look at his Hand... Prepare to get Cut up

Myself and 3 Experienced friends pulled the Motor the night before and the next day installed the Cam kit, LT's and Reinstalled the Engine in the car. If you are experienced and have friends that are.. it doesn't take long at all.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:15 PM

yea i heard a weekend is about right. if i were to do it myself, i'd probably use up my whole spring break and make sure i dont mess anything up and take my time ya know?
Old 01-23-2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by White_94_TA
Look at his Hand... Prepare to get Cut up

My hands were not cut up from the cam install in that pic. The cuts were from installing headers for another guy a few hours before we started the cam. I've done it both ways and in the car is easier for the weekend warrior.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:00 PM

Took my buddy and I about 12 hours.

Doing another cam install in a couple of weeks so we'll see how long it takes this time.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:12 PM

I found a guy on here that will do it for me for 200 bucks..and then do LT1 edit for another 100 bucks. Hes only like 45 minutes away from me too, and he said if i drop off the car on fri, he can finish it by sunday. He does this sort of thing all the time though.

Do you guys think his LT1 edit will be better than PCMforless? Its much easier to have him do it then to send in the computer obviously.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:22 PM

Thumbs up

It took me about 2 months...

Now I can easily do it in a weekend in my garage with my lack luster tools....

Actually I bet I can do it in 1 day now with the right tools...

It always takes time for the firstimers.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:31 PM

About 13 hours split over 2 days mostly by myself. I did have help getting the fans and radiator in and out.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:35 PM

That doesnt sound bad at all. When it gets around 55-60 degrees here I want to start installing my stuff. I am going to head over to the auto store tommorw and get the rest of the stuff I need to do the cam swap (coolant, loctite, etc...) Can't wait to take a bite out of the motor!

Where can I get my hands on one of those Helms manuals?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by BigBoySlim
My hands were not cut up from the cam install in that pic. The cuts were from installing headers for another guy a few hours before we started the cam. I've done it both ways and in the car is easier for the weekend warrior.
I feel ya, man...if you don't have cuts and gashes doing a header install, you didn't do it right...right? LOL.

DJ

Quick Reply: How long to install a hotcam kit?