LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How the hell do you adjust the idle stop screw?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:09 AM

How the hell do you adjust the idle stop screw?

Screwdriver? Allen wrench? What? I can't get to it.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:44 AM

It's not meant to be adjusted.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:22 PM

Take some needle nose pliers and you'll see where the screw comes out at the front of the TB. Grip the screw and turn it a little there.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:29 PM

Its a torx bit. VERY hard to get to if its on the car. Forget the exact size, sorry. The TB gasket also covers the opening for the screw, so you have bend tab on the gasket out of the way if you havent already.

As for not meant to be adjusted, try getting your IAC to work well enough on a built motor.

It will NOT, i repeat, WILL NOT adjust your idle however (unless you crank it all the way open, or bottom it out so that the IAC cant keep up). The computer is in charge of that via the IAC. If the IAC isnt big enough or quick enough to allow in enough air, you can crack the blades a tad to allow the extra air in needed to idle correctly.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by atljar

Its a torx bit. VERY hard to get to if its on the car. Forget the exact size, sorry. The TB gasket also covers the opening for the screw, so you have bend tab on the gasket out of the way if you havent already.

As for not meant to be adjusted, try getting your IAC to work well enough on a built motor.

It will NOT, i repeat, WILL NOT adjust your idle however (unless you crank it all the way open, or bottom it out so that the IAC cant keep up). The computer is in charge of that via the IAC. If the IAC isnt big enough or quick enough to allow in enough air, you can crack the blades a tad to allow the extra air in needed to idle correctly.
That's the exact problem I'm having. Bryan at PCMforLess suggested opening them a tad because the car stumbles and almost dies when I come to a stop. It's idling too high as well. This should fix it shouldn't it?

I got it turned using vise grips but that was a PITA, I will try the needlenose pliers this next time.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:18 PM
Advanced Tech Moderator

I couldnt remember what the hell to adjust it with, i tried all difrent torx bits, screw drivers and nothing would do it. So i took my stock one off and looked.... and it just uses an allen wrench. (I don't remember what size offhand though)
Old 07-03-2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by gamecockfan04
Take some needle nose pliers and you'll see where the screw comes out at the front of the TB. Grip the screw and turn it a little there.
thats what i did, pull the PCM/BATT fuse before doing it
Old 07-03-2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Loadre
That's the exact problem I'm having. Bryan at PCMforLess suggested opening them a tad because the car stumbles and almost dies when I come to a stop. It's idling too high as well. This should fix it shouldn't it?
What about drilling one small hole in each of the throttle blades?

I'm asking because I don't know if it will work on a computer controlled engine. Works well on carbed engines though.

Someone here should know for sure.

-Mindgame
Old 07-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Administrator

....I got it turned using vise grips but that was a PITA, I will try the needlenose pliers this next time.
You might want to try the correct T10 torx.... at least that's what's on the no-longer-in-use TB from my 94.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:52 PM

without pulling the throttlebody off, its a MPITA to get any kind of tool in there to turn it
Old 07-03-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by simple
without pulling the throttlebody off, its a MPITA to get any kind of tool in there to turn it
What he said. There's basically no way to adjust it other than grabbing the threads and turning while the TB is on. I've been putting the damn thing back together for 2 months, I really don't want to have to take it back apart no matter how easy it is. Thanks for the help so far guys. I'll go fire her up when it stops raining and see how she does.

Mindgame, would do that except the stop screw does the exact same thing, but it is reversible. Sorta hard to un-drill holes in the TB blades.

Thanks Injuneer for the correct size.

The guys that have adjusted theirs, How many turns did you go? I went 1 full turn and it helped a tad. Started changing the oil and added another 1.5 turn for 2.5 total. We'll see how that does.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:56 PM

From the factory the throttle body idle screw has thread sealer on it. It is also installed from the back side. On all of my motors I take out the screw and install it from the front. Once the thread sealer is gone you can also turn the screw using needle nose pliers while the engine is running.

Daren
Old 07-03-2004, 05:16 PM

I got it turned using vise grips but that was a PITA, I will try the needlenose pliers this next time.
Well think about that. If it wont idle stopping, then you need to open the blades a little more. however, if its idleing high, if you open the blades even more, its going to idle even higher.

How high does Bryan have the idle set? If you just put a cam in the car, its going to have to idle a few hundred RPM higher than it used to. However if its above 1000 rpm, I'd first look for vacuum leaks before i even touched the throttle stop screw.

"How many turns" question...
Im not sure on mine. I used a scan tool and monitored the IAC counts. I tired to get it to idle at about 35 counts when fully warmed.

Mindgame-
You can still drill out the blades. Ive seen a few cars like that, but as already said, you cant undril the hole if you change things down the road.

Cheers all.
Old 07-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Actually it's idling OK. He has it set at 900 at it's idling from 900-950. In open loop the IAC count stayed right around 55. I adjusted the stop screw as far out as I could without making a massive change in idle. Not gotten to drive it yet to see if it still stumbles. I've got some datamaster logs if you would like to look at them.

Brian
Old 07-03-2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Injuneer
You might want to try the correct T10 torx.... at least that's what's on the no-longer-in-use TB from my 94.
Indeed

Quick Reply: How the hell do you adjust the idle stop screw?