LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How hard is it to install an oil sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 06:47 PM

How hard is it to install an oil sending unit?

and how much will it cost? Because during my header install i broke it off and i want to get it fixed quick. Just to make sure its the righ thing its the thing a few inches above the oil filter. It's on the thing that has like 3 lines goin to it so it looks like ill have to take that all apart to get the unit out. So any ideas???
Old 07-09-2003, 07:19 PM

Re: How hard is it to install an oil sending unit?

Originally posted by speed76demon
and how much will it cost? Because during my header install i broke it off and i want to get it fixed quick. Just to make sure its the righ thing its the thing a few inches above the oil filter. It's on the thing that has like 3 lines goin to it so it looks like ill have to take that all apart to get the unit out. So any ideas???
If it's really the oil pressure sending unit, all there is to it is disconnecting and unscrewing it and putting a new one in. Use some teflon tape on the fitting.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:26 PM

its easy

i just did this last friday. its cake. first drain your oil. then take off the rubber sleeve that protects the sending unit and un clip the sender. then with a big open ended wrench(dont know what size) or channel locks or somthing, unscrew the old sender and screw in the new one. it cost me like 25 bucks from auto zone for the sender and like 20 bucks for the five quarts of mobil one.

you can even throw a thin layer of teflon tape around the threads to make sure it doesnt leak.

the hole think took me less than an hour including the trip to auto zone.

-Grant
Old 07-09-2003, 07:32 PM

I would not think you need to drain the oil. You might get a few dribbles.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:08 PM

On a 94 your oil pressure sending unit should be on the rear of the block near the EGR valve. only 93 had it just above the filter. you could move it I guess but the harness wouln't reach I dont think.

Regardless. there is a special socket for it. its a 1 and 1/16 oil pressure sending unit socket, most pasts stores would have it. You may be able to get it off with an adjustable or open ended wrench, but I wouldnt want to put one on like that. I think most of them come with thread sealant on them. Ive been told by engine builders never to use teflon tape on oil passage-ways. If it gets into the oil (and it can) it can get cought on that screen on the oil filter mounting bracket and stop oil flow past the filter.
Though, I have seen hundreds of people ust it, so I wouldnt go out and change it if you already did it that way.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Dave Feerst
On a 94 your oil pressure sending unit should be on the rear of the block near the EGR valve. only 93 had it just above the filter. you could move it I guess but the harness wouln't reach I dont think.

Regardless. there is a special socket for it. its a 1 and 1/16 oil pressure sending unit socket, most pasts stores would have it. You may be able to get it off with an adjustable or open ended wrench, but I wouldnt want to put one on like that. I think most of them come with thread sealant on them. Ive been told by engine builders never to use teflon tape on oil passage-ways. If it gets into the oil (and it can) it can get cought on that screen on the oil filter mounting bracket and stop oil flow past the filter.
Though, I have seen hundreds of people ust it, so I wouldnt go out and change it if you already did it that way.
If used improperly, I can see the hazard with the teflon tape. If you blob it up with pipe dope, the same thing is going to happen. As with anything, you have to do it right.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:16 PM

no you dont have to drain the oil but i got more than a few dribbles when i did it and i was about 2 quarts low at the time.

although now that i think about it i might not have given it enough time to drain back into the pan before un screwing the sender.

-Grant
Old 07-09-2003, 10:40 PM

He he, you guys will love this one.
I FINALLY got my tranny in today and the TA , driveshaft, all of it and started the car with open headers, OOOPS forgot to reinstall the oil pressure sender, luckily the guy who was helping me was watching for just such an occurence and we shut the motor down after about 5 seconds of running, enough to put quite a bit of oil on the floor and all over the driver side header.
Feeling like a complete and utter moron, I proceeded to install the sending unit and clean up as much of the oil as possible.
Started it up again and filled the tranny up and let it idle for a bit, seems fine and open LT headers are not as loud as I thought they would be.
Anyway my oil pressure sending unit is on the back of the manifold as well. Did some early 94s have it in the same spot as 93s?
Old 07-09-2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by revtime
He he, you guys will love this one.
I FINALLY got my tranny in today and the TA , driveshaft, all of it and started the car with open headers, OOOPS forgot to reinstall the oil pressure sender, luckily the guy who was helping me was watching for just such an occurence and we shut the motor down after about 5 seconds of running, enough to put quite a bit of oil on the floor and all over the driver side header.
Feeling like a complete and utter moron, I proceeded to install the sending unit and clean up as much of the oil as possible.
Started it up again and filled the tranny up and let it idle for a bit, seems fine and open LT headers are not as loud as I thought they would be.
Anyway my oil pressure sending unit is on the back of the manifold as well. Did some early 94s have it in the same spot as 93s?
You mean yours is down by the oil filter? Apparently some 1994s (maybe early ones) are like that from what I have been observing.