LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How can I test my coil wire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 07:35 AM

How can I test my coil wire?

I can't seem to get my Z to start. I checked for fuel pressure at the rail, I've checked the fuses for the injectors and ignition. I've checked for spark at the coil... I guess the next thing to check is the coil wire... I measured it with my multitester and it reads about 3000 ohms... I'm not sure if that is acceptable or not.. It seems high for about 8"of wire. Other than getting a new set of wires and replacing the coil wire, how can I test this wire?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-15-2005, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Re: How can I test my coil wire?

That's pretty high but not so high as to prevent the car from starting.

My buddy had a problem with his car in that at WOT and 5,000 rpm it would sound like it was bouncing off the ref limiter. Took out the coil wire and measured it (bunch of white corrosion on it) and with my pretty good digitial multimeter it was reading "OPEN"!!! Yep, I couldn't even get a reading on it! Put my old factory coil wire in it (I'm a packrat) and it ran just fine.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Thanks guys, I did get the car started and once it started, it runs fine even at WOT... It is still hard to start, but after it cranks for a few seconds, it is turning over most of the time... I'll do a search on hard starting in general, but any idea what might be causing those symptoms? Maybe it's finally time to do a tuneup...

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 02-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

A hard start condition is normally fuel related.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:11 AM

Thanks Brent. I drove my Z home last night once I got it started and it drove just fine the 25 miles of mixed city highway driving... But after I shut it off, it was very hard to start again... I pulled a couple of the spark plugs and although the gap had grown to around .080, they looked like they were in good shape overall... Since I'm getting good spark at the coil, and the plugs that I looked at appear to be fine... I'm not seeing any arching around the wires from what I can see... I guess that leads me back to the fuel system or possibly the opti... I don't think it's the opti though because I don't get any miss under load or at WOT....
Other than fuel pressure, what can I check? Do you think I may have just got some bad gas? If so, what should I do about that?
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks
Steve