LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

A hot mess!! Help? 96 trans.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 05:16 PM

A hot mess!! Help? 96 trans.

Ok, so let me explain before i get noob or sarcastic answers. So i bought this car for fiance, knowing it was a fixer upper. She still doesnt know about it, as i have it in storage. So, i go to pick it up and the lady is second owner 145k for 3k. She said her son (23 yr old.) did slight modifications to it. The things i noticed when i looked under the hood first is bbk tb, ac delete, coolant bypass mod, and some sort of hack job for ram air box (funtional ram air hood). She said theres a slight misfire, so i thought a tune up would be first. So i ordered jegs 8.5 wires, ac delco x2 platinums (.50 gap, he had .55?)k and n with ram air filter, mobil1 full synthetic with mb1 oil filter. Read up on shboxs site, helped alot. K and n filter was too big? Also while under car i noticed ground strap from ignition assembly was almost deteriorated. Replaced. Replaced module with standard brand, had to be original coil because i had to drill out studs...put in driveworks coil for now. Forgot to mention it took a couple turns and pumping of gas pedal to start when i got it. So i also replaced the starter with new duralast. For now. Also put in a new water pump and oil level sensor as they were shot. Acdelco oil sensor and gates wp, with oe coolant. Ran good for 1 week, then bogging at idle hard to start again 2nd week.now wont start. Vacuum lines have no leak, the code im getting is p1351. So im assuming optispark. Bought a cheapo from amazon, dont want to spend 500 on msd if the opti isnt the issue.
Have to buy a new battery already because one night after work i stopped by to work on it and headlights didnt work? But everything else did...checked battery voltage..14. Something..but noticed someone stripped the inside of neg. Side of battery..so i temporarily found a sweet spot and snugged it up. Also theres a switch inside by truck button, idk what it goes to...took out most of the underglow light wiring he had. He also put in kenwood radio retarded because its not mounted/secure and after market alarm system which i deactivated so vats wouldnt be a problem. So i never set alarm. Key works fine security light comes on then goes away. Tried getting a hold of the lady i got it from no answers. If coil and module was stock im assuming opti is stock. Want to change out headers and delete egr (bought egr delete plates already) what will i need to do long tubes? Do i need a tune? Dont want to buy a tuner cause i dont know what numbers to put in. (unless someone can help). Wanting to raise the power on it while i change opti. Cam? Specific one? Bought this cause her dad passed away when she was 10 and he was building a 80s trans.

Blue Driver scanner.

Last edited by scope513; 03-07-2020 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Adding pic.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Re: A hot mess!! Help? 96 trans.

Unfortunately “NewMember Intro” isn’t the best place to get tech help. I'll move this to a “tech” forum for you.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:04 PM

OP

stop with moding the car until it actually runs right. Sounds like PO did a bunch of half a$$ mods which likely are the reasons for your issues.

If your opti was a original AC Delco by no means get rid of it. It can be rebuilt by a guy on ebay. ANY other opti available today is at best a 50/50 good/fail right out of the box. If you tradeded in the AC Delco opti for the china clone one you are F'ed moving forward with any other brand

Pull any of the alarm crap as it may be stopping your car from running

don't attempt any self learn programming for any cam or other mods you have. It isn't a video game. There are tuners you can send your pcm to have it programed for any mods you do for about $200. If the car has a larger TB but was not tuned for it and is a automatic..tranny failure is soon to occur

Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 AM

I will take some pics maybe that will help..give me a day or 2 for this flu to go away.