LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hot Cam Question-read this!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 07:48 PM

Arrow Hot Cam Question-read this!!

I was really looking forward to putting a camshaft in my car after my other minor mods i'm doing. I was thinking the HOT CAM setup untill I read this from TPIS.Q: I have a 95 LT1, it has LT4 heads and intake, LT4 fuel injectors, 1.6 roller rockers, 52mm throttle body, 1 3/4'' SLP headers, GM Performance Parts Hot Cam, ACCEL 300+ Ignition and K&N fuel injection performance kit. Idles good, but when I hit the throttle it is slow to respond, and when it does, it isn't very impressive. Do I need a re-programmed computer? A larger fuel pump or an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

A: The Cam is too big for a 350 motor. I get this question all the time with the LT4 Hot Cam. If you look at the duration @ .050 it doesn't look bad , but it must be huge everywhere else in it's lift range. It would be fine in a 383 or bigger motor with a lot of compression, and a deep gear. Also the intake port volume of the heads are big for a 350 street motor. In order to use these pieces you would want to stroke the motor and or raise the c/r, or add a supercharger. When you go with big cams and 1.6 rocker ratio, and add big heads you will lose a lot of your bottom end power and most of your mid-range power. What happens is the velocity of the air slows down that's why you go slower. The whole set up is still on the big side for a 383 ci motor. You will make more power but it will be all up top.
TPiS

Go back to the top
All you Hot Cam guys out their, give me some info about the cam and what you feel about it before I spend the money....Thanks...z
Old 02-12-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

Re: Hot Cam Question-read this!!

Originally posted by fordkiller94
I was really looking forward to putting a camshaft in my car after my other minor mods i'm doing. I was thinking the HOT CAM setup untill I read this from TPIS.Q: I have a 95 LT1, it has LT4 heads and intake, LT4 fuel injectors, 1.6 roller rockers, 52mm throttle body, 1 3/4'' SLP headers, GM Performance Parts Hot Cam, ACCEL 300+ Ignition and K&N fuel injection performance kit. Idles good, but when I hit the throttle it is slow to respond, and when it does, it isn't very impressive. Do I need a re-programmed computer? A larger fuel pump or an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

A: The Cam is too big for a 350 motor. I get this question all the time with the LT4 Hot Cam. If you look at the duration @ .050 it doesn't look bad , but it must be huge everywhere else in it's lift range. It would be fine in a 383 or bigger motor with a lot of compression, and a deep gear. Also the intake port volume of the heads are big for a 350 street motor. In order to use these pieces you would want to stroke the motor and or raise the c/r, or add a supercharger. When you go with big cams and 1.6 rocker ratio, and add big heads you will lose a lot of your bottom end power and most of your mid-range power. What happens is the velocity of the air slows down that's why you go slower. The whole set up is still on the big side for a 383 ci motor. You will make more power but it will be all up top.
TPiS

Go back to the top
All you Hot Cam guys out their, give me some info about the cam and what you feel about it before I spend the money....Thanks...z
IMHO TPIS is worthless

$4600 for a freaking heads and cam package to get 400hp

all the stroker advice i got from them was worthless too
Thank God for combo motorsports

the LT4 hotcam is far from too big for a 350.

the LT4 hot cam is a bad idea for a 383, its way too small
and an even worse idea for a blown motor. you want a blower cam for a blown motor.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:58 PM

Ya right!

The HotCam is perfect for the 350. Makes me wonder about people and companies sometime. Just keep looking around on this board, there are a ton of us started off using this cam and decided it was not big enough.

The HotCam Kit is a perfect starter kit for anyone.
As for programming it really needs to have a program done on it to maximize the potential of it.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:58 PM
BPS

TPIS is out to lunch.

I got great response from my hot cam across all ranges, the kit is great. Go for it!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Banned

www.pcmforless.com for tuning
like $100 and he has it NAILED
Old 02-12-2003, 08:21 PM

It sounds like a tuning issue. I agree I wouldn't bother with tpis your paying for the name which isn't even the reputable.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:29 PM

That's a steaming pile of horse****
Old 02-12-2003, 08:34 PM

Sounds like a tactic to sell you their ZZ-9 cam.....but it went over like a terd in a punch bowl. No prob with the LT-4 cam on a 350. I hype up TPIS products all day long b/c of the quality...but i'm honestly disappointed with their responce.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:36 PM

TPIS just wants you to buy their cam. I know dudes who have the LT4 heads, hotcam, and powerdyne running 11.90's I have stock untouched heads with the hotcam...how's 1.69 sixty foot times and a 12.39 sound to you? My advice, get the "Hotcam."
Old 02-12-2003, 08:40 PM
Banned

do yourself a favor and talk to someone who knows a thing about LT1s and isn't trying to downplay other people to make themselves look good.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:36 PM

So everybody has had good results with the Hot Cam? Well I'll take your word for it over TPIS, Your right there probably after the money for their cams and making the hot cam sound like a bad choice. But I still would like peoples opinions on this camshaft, if anyone has anyhting to say..
Old 02-12-2003, 10:11 PM

hot cam too big? by far no. look at my sig. you can go a hair over .600 lift on an LT1 with a stock bottom end. A guy I know has a 396 LT4 with almost .700 lift. I would say you need a good computer program. unless your opti puke went out.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:40 PM

Horsepucky. Get a dyno tune IMO, I dont like mail order stuff. Find a baseline on the net if you can, and by all means look at your BLMs, if your running lean or pinging you are in danger of losing your engine.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:46 AM

I'll agree with everyone else, b/c my hotcammed LT1 350 runs great....
Old 02-13-2003, 06:25 PM

I absolutely hate TPIS!!!!

They are a bunch of shady bastards who seemingly don't know their earhole from their a$$hole.

~Adam M.

Quick Reply: Hot Cam Question-read this!!