LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hooker vs Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 03:26 PM

Hooker vs Magnaflow

hey i know this has been posted many many times here probally, I just read a dyno where flowmaster lost 20hp at like 5,500 rpm so it's going off of my car. My setup will be headers, off road pipe, into a catback.

Question in
Magnaflow VS Hooker

I like the way magnaflow is stainless.

How do the two compare in sound?
Old 01-18-2004, 03:34 PM

Like you said yourself, this same question has been asked many times before. When I wanted to find out about the differences, I did a search, and it gave me about 10 pages of results. That should be plenty feedback. So do a search, and you will be happy with the results. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:48 PM

Thumbs up

Hey just let me tell you this i have a 94 camaro with the LT4 kit on it and i have a magnaflow and i love it because its sounds damn good and it really does not get loud intill you lay into to it but it wont rust and all around the hooker will so if i were you go with a magnaflow youll love it.

Last edited by LT4Z; 01-18-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:22 PM

I see that www.thunderracing.com has the hooker on sale for $260 ending today.

How much can you find the Magnaflow for? I think it's also pretty cheap through Ebay right?

Dan
Old 01-18-2004, 05:50 PM

Well, I just ordered my Hooker Catback from thunder racing. I think that's a good price: $261

Best price I've seen actually.

I never drive my car in the salt so hopefully this exhaust will last a little while, even though it's not stainless. Most people are very pleased with the sound, and that's my main concern as well as a nice open muffler which the Hooker has.

Dan
Old 01-18-2004, 06:02 PM

The Hooker is a great catback for the price imo. While it is true that the Magnaflow is stainless I really, really HATE the exhaust tips that come with it. The Hooker exhaust tips look way better to me. That said, I don't think there is much of a performance difference between the two. I chose to buy the Hooker simply because the price is great and the tips look much better to me.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:49 PM

Well, I had a Flowmaster American Thunder cat back with a single outlet pipe. The exhaust note with the new stroker motor was starting to get really bad as it had a resonant drone at about 2500 rpm.

I kept the flowmaster pipes and replaced just the muffler with a Spintech Sportsman Street XL muffler. The Spintech sounds 100% better in my opinion and it is also supposed to flow much better as well.

The Spintech set me back $100 so it was by far the cheapest alternative. It sounds better, flows better, and the price was right.

Just measure the dimensions of your current muffler and you will likely find a suitable replacement on the Spintech site. I used the Sportsman Street XL Muffler 3444XL, it is a direct replacement for the Single outlet American Thunder Flowmaster.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:59 PM

I sold my Borla for the Hooker and I'm extremely pleased. Just my opinion, Borla is a waste of money. Cat-backs shouldnt be worth anything above $350. I hear Magnaflow is good though, just have to hear the exhausts first before you make a decision.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:19 PM

Here's a little clip of my hooker. Above 4K at WOT it just screams.
http://www.imagestation.com/video/vi...192644255&dl=1
Old 01-18-2004, 10:35 PM

Hooker = teh ****
Old 01-19-2004, 03:31 AM

I want something that is quiet on the hiway but screams up at full throttle.. remember i dont have cats and i have headers. The soundclip to the hooker doesnt work. any clips of either exhaust system would be helpful.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:50 AM

Mine the day I installed it:

http://mattz28.tripintaz.com/wav/camarohooker1.wav

Popping because the pipes are cold, once the car warms up it doesn't do it, and it's also a little louder now (installed it Christmas day).

I absolutely love it.....it's so quiet at idle and cruising and when you go and give it some gas it has the sweetest muscle car tone.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:48 PM

i have the Magnaflow Catback. Its absolutely awesome. I've had so many compliments. I have a friend here with a 99 SS who has the SLP Loudmouth, and just being honest the Magnaflow is nothing less than the Loudmouth. I gained 14RWHP with just the catback running on bad plugs/wires. Cant beat it for the price!
Old 01-20-2004, 12:32 AM

i also have the magnaflow. i love it. the sound is great and is loud. i dont htink its quiet at all and i still have stock manifolds stock cat. i have the catback. the stainless is great, i just need to get under it and clean it really good due to the snow and salt we have had lately. its filthy under there. i love my exhaust i have had comments on it also. like i said i dont htink its quiet at all. i noticed a big difference in perforamnce also. and it gets plenty mean when you give it soem gas. i havne theard it without me driving but even inside its damn loud. and i have asked people about listening toit outside andtheysaid its loud and sounds mean and good. i gave 280 for mine shipped about 7 months ago. it was a pretty good deal to me. its a great exhaust stystem and even like the guy posted above he gained 14rwhp out of it! damn. i hope i gained something on thatsort.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:41 AM

I have the Magnaflow, and I love it.

The Hooker cat-back sounds very nice as well, but I'll admit to being partial.

Oh, the Edelbrock cat-back sounds good but is way too loud for my tastes..

Anyway... Here are sound clips from my Magnaflow setup...

They were ALL recored from the same position relative to the rear of the car, one totally stock, one stock manifolds/y-pipe with Magnaflow catback, and one Hooker LT's, ORY and Magnaflow catback. This gives you an excellent idea of how the sound changes as you change the overall exhaust system.

Make sure you play the stock exhaust file first and get the volume set, as it REALLY lets you hear the difference with the others.

On to the files:

Stock Exhaust

This one was done the same day as the stock one, but RIGHT AFTER the shop installed my catback.
Magnaflow Catback with stock manifolds and y-pipe

6 1/2 months later, 2 weeks after header install.
Hooker Long Tubes with Mufflex y-pipe (no cats) and Magnaflow catback

Hope this helps you make a decision.

Last edited by LWillmann; 01-20-2004 at 11:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Hooker vs Magnaflow