LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hooker Areo chamber cat back questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 AM

Hooker Areo chamber cat back questions

I have a 80 series Flowmaster on my car with Mac mids and no cats and I have ha dthis setup for a few years and it has been pretty loud but this spring I took my car out and man is it ever loud!

maybe its me not being used to it after the winter but I think I wanna buy a new cat back and was wondering if the Hooker was maybe a little quieter than the 80 series flowmaster?

thanks!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Re: Hooker Areo chamber cat back questions

I'd just spend the money and get a nice, quiet catback thats stainless steel. If you want a quiet system look to the SLP dual dual, its stainless and reasonably priced.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:39 AM

I dont really want something that is tooquiet I love the sound its just that it has gotten REALLY loud, much louder than last season I am sure now . I want something that doesnt get louder over time just sounds the same as when first in stalled i guess lol, does it exist?
Old 04-11-2006, 10:52 AM

I had a Flowmaster 3" catback with headers and a 40 series, and I hated it. I bought a 3" single in/out Aerochamber and replaced the Flowmaster. I absolutely love it! It sounds about as close to an offshore boat as you can get, and it's perfectly acceptable at cruise.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:59 AM

Just replace the muffler. No need for a whole new catback. New muffler and the tips of your choice.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:48 PM

Too bad you don’t live closer to me. I have the setup you are asking about. I have MAC mids, hooker catback, and a bullet muffler in place of the cat. It sounds awesome, but it’s not quiet at anything over ½ throttle. It idles quiet, and cruises very quiet though. It’s one sweet sounding setup.

I also agree that you should just replace the muffler with the aerochamber(less than $100) and save the $$$ since you already have the 3” exhaust tubing from your 80 series catback. (do you just have the 80 series muffler, or the entire catback?)

By the way, you would be surprised how much the exhaust tips change the sound. I had the hooker catback tips on, but wanted slash cut rolled lip chrome tips. I took the hooker tips off for a while, and the car got LOUD, because the exhaust sound would bounce off the inside of the back bumper since the tips didn’t extend past the bumper anymore. Just a thought. Maybe your tips play a role too?

Dan
Old 04-12-2006, 08:01 AM

I actually only have the flowmaster muffler so it would be a good upgrade to get the whole cat back ,

Stereomandan, I have the stock rectangle tips.
I dont know if they play much of a role in how loud it is but I feel like pulling the tips off just to see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:56 AM

If you want it quieter, get any name brand cat-back.

Then put a bullet in the pipe somewhere. This REALLY quiets them down. Even at WOT.

Some brands worth looking into definatly are Hooker, Corsa (Sounds awesome but $$$), Borla is OK with the plates closed. Some of the SLP stuff is quiet too I believe
Old 04-12-2006, 09:05 AM

If you want quiet Hooker isnt the way to go. I have the hooker cat back on my car and my buddy has an 80 series flowmaster. His is louder at idle and at some points at cruising speed. But at WOT mine is alot louder. But cars have identical mods too. Other than y-pipe and cat back, but the y-pipes arent too much different. A bullet muffler in the I-pipe of a popular cat-back might be the best way to go. Here are a bunch of vids of my car with the hooker cat back and one of it stock with the flowmaster 80 series and no cat. There is also one of my buddys who has the flowmaster, but he was running an open cutout at the track in his vid so its not a good way to gauge how loud it is. http://videos.streetfire.net/search/b4c/0.htm

Jeremy