LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Honest exhaust question......

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 11:29 PM

Honest exhaust question......

here is the situation, i hate interior resonance(i'm pretty into aftermarket stereo systems)....and i daily drive my car pretty much only, rarely raced to much......what is going to be the gains of true duals vs. a normal cat back system....considering that either way the cats WILL be removed? this is a car with stock heads/cam........i just dont wanna take chances/deal with trueduals since im not really an expert. basically my question is...are true duals worth it for a stocker?
thnx guys
Old 06-19-2003, 11:50 PM

Yes, I beleive true duals are worth it, your predicament is getting them routed out thru the rear. I would use an X pipe design which can cut down on decibal's by about 4-6db, use two catalytic convertors and maybe a Hooker Aerochamber muffler on each pipe out the back. Your other alternative is to go with side pipes, but there goes the noise factor!

Otherwise, if you want something that's quiet, but aggresive on the outside, I'd get a Hooker Catback and some headers, probably will cost you the same as having somebody fab up true duals out the back for you, plus you'll gain a bit more with the headers/catback setup.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:56 AM

LT's down to a custom X-pipe...X-pipe exits to two (2) bullet mufflers....each bullet muffler dumps....

^ prime exhaust set-up ^
Old 06-20-2003, 02:47 AM

THATS PRIJME FOR FUN FACTOR LOL.....thats the loudest possible exhaust setup you could get....bullets are loud as hell.
Whats the diff in HP between headers with no cats and hooker aero chamber vs. headers w/xpipe and two mufflers?
Old 06-20-2003, 11:35 AM

Well that set-up is good for a stroker engine or some awesome head/cam work...not your every day driver set up
Old 06-20-2003, 12:21 PM

If you dont want much noise dont do the Hooker Lt's x-pipe and bullets. Its a little loud. ( I love it). Your best bet would be Hooker Lt's and Hooker catback. Now if you can get the true duals to exit the rear of the car, which will cost more money, I would proably go that route. Also you did not mention that you where putting on aftermaket headers, are you planning on just adding true duals to the stock headers. If you are then I would not go that route. I would just get a catback.
Old 06-20-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by 95Zdroptop
If you dont want much noise dont do the Hooker Lt's x-pipe and bullets. Its a little loud. ( I love it). Your best bet would be Hooker Lt's and Hooker catback. Now if you can get the true duals to exit the rear of the car, which will cost more money, I would proably go that route. Also you did not mention that you where putting on aftermaket headers, are you planning on just adding true duals to the stock headers. If you are then I would not go that route. I would just get a catback.
I agree with 95Zdroptop. I just got on my true duals, with dynomax bullet mufflers that dump before the rear axle, and its got a lot of resonance at a a few rpm levels. Definatly not what your looking for. If you want to take true duals over the axle, your looking to dump a lot more money into it.

If your just big into stereo stuff, I'd just get a regular cat back, maybe some headers down the line. I've never heard the Hooker Aerochamber exhaust, but it seems to be popular. Also you might want to look into Ravin's Z55 3" cat-back for our cars, it doesn't have that much interior resonance, and has a really clean and deep sound.