LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

holy burnt spark plug wire!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 02:04 AM

holy burnt spark plug wire!

I can't stop burning spark plug wires! I installed my FLP LT's about a month or so ago and a Thunder Racing OVC kit along with it. I run the taylor fire sleeves on all of my wires also.

My problem is that the spark plug wire boots for #5 and #6 are resting right against the header primaries and causing them to burn, even with the fire sleeves on. They haven't quite burned all the way through yet, but it won't be long.

I don't know what to do other than exchange my ngk tr55's for those shorty plugs, which i dont want to do, or dent the header's in so they won't touch the boots...which i REALLY don't want to do.

Somebody give me some helpful words of advice...please!

Thanks,
Adam
Old 07-30-2005, 02:15 AM

Re: holy burnt spark plug wire!

I think Accel makes some wires that take really high-heat applications, they won't be bulletproof when resting right on the primary but it'd help. I'm pretty sure it was Accel, but look around in Summit or something and I'm sure you could find them. Using those along with the fire sleeves should help a decent amount.

You could also try using some of that header wrap stuff, I don't like the stuff for use on the entire header but maybe some right where your #5 and 6 are touching just to try to channel the heat away from that spot.

Maybe doing all of that will give you enough heat prevention to keep from having to buy new plugs or *gasp* dent the headers.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:54 PM

Its all about wire routing.
I run Hooker Jet Hot coated LTs and basically stock routing and I have NEVER burnt a wire.
Zip ties are your friend, take some time and route your wires and you won,t have a problem.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:02 PM

Been there, frustrated as hell. AMEN to the zip tie, takes time yes but you will solve the wire dilemma and you can still make it look neat & tidy.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:07 PM

Secure routing is the key. I don't know that I would expect many things to stand up to constant contact with the header, lot of heat.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:44 PM

Well, thats just the thing. All of my routing is fine! The WIRES do not touch the primaries at all. It's just the wire's boots (that connect to the spark plug), for #5 and #6. The boot's are actually pinned between the spark plug's and the primaries, because there is so little room.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:15 AM

Damn I thought the FLPs were designed better than that.
If thats the case that the primary is squishing the boot then you may have to go to a shorty plug.
My Hookers don,t come near to doing that and most burnt wire cases are of burning the actual wire not the boot. Hmmm.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:10 AM

Well i did a little research and it looks like i'll be swapping to the accel shorty platinum's...only $12.73 a PIECE. Geez...
Old 07-31-2005, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by 1QuikTransAm
Well i did a little research and it looks like i'll be swapping to the accel shorty platinum's...only $12.73 a PIECE. Geez...
I just don't know that I would spend that much on plugs. But, if this is your only option...... Need to think though, what if these plugs don't fix the issue? Then your out $$ and back to square 1.

I was wondering if you had some pictures of your setup? I would hate for anyone to spend that kind of money on plugs. Esp if it can be avoided. Maybe someone will see somthing that would fix the issue.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:39 AM

Try wrapping header wrap around your boots, it might solve your issue. Use a ziptie to make it stay and you can go thick and they wont burn through
Old 07-31-2005, 11:38 AM

I really hate to spend that much on spark plugs but i believe that's my only choice. I don't have any pics of my setup either...

I can't wrap/cover the boots or priamries with anythingelse...there's no room. The boot is tightly wedged between the end of the spark plug and the header primary.

If I get the shorty plugs, this will give more room for the boot. Of course i'll still use the heat shields. I've read about other people that had the FLP's who resorted to the shorty plugs and supposedly didn't have any problems.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:57 AM

Do you think that you would have this problem if you hadn't gone to OVC wires? I'd call Thunder up about this problem and get their input on it, it is their wiring system (although they don't sell FLP headers...).
Old 07-31-2005, 01:50 PM

Nah, honestly i don't think it has anything to do with the OVC setup. It doesn't matter which direction the boot is turned or anything...it it just pinned in there.

I went to advance auto and they had a set of the shorty plugs, but it wasn't the right one for my car. I took it out of the box and compared it to a standard lt1 spark plug and the only part that was really shorter was the threaded part. Maybe it was just because the shorty plug was the wrong one, idk.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:20 PM

What about different wires with maybe smaller or angled boots? I don't even know if they make them...just an idea.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:57 PM

Wow, and I thought Pacesetters were a pita. I just bought an OVC kit to get rid of my problems, but the FLP primaries must really turn down quick if you have problems of that magnitude. You might want to try some of these , they're pretty much the hottest running wires out there right now, don't know if they're long enough for the ovc configuration or not but they should be.

Quick Reply: holy burnt spark plug wire!