LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

high idol after start up. 385 lt1 cont...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 PM

high idol after start up. 385 lt1 cont...

thanks for your guys help with my last post
Now after i.start it up the rpms just race sky high. To thw point i have busted two push rods. One source told me a possible vacumm leak if so which hose? can anyone share some insight?
chris
Old 08-08-2008, 08:22 PM

If it is a vacuum leak you will just have to check all of the vacuum ports on the intake manifold. Make sure they are all connected and that none of the hoses are in poor shape. You should be able to hear the leak and just feel around with your hand on the intake manifold. Once you find the leak the engine should start to settle down almost immediately. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Now that think about. i.might have pinched my vacumm hose on the fuel pressure regulator. i accidently bolted it down underneath the intake during install. i had to cut it and i placed the remaining on. its kinda streched out. could that be an issue?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by LT1CST
thanks for your guys help with my last post
Now after i.start it up the rpms just race sky high. To thw point i have busted two push rods.
Do you mean the thing goes wide open on start up and holds that RPM?
Old 08-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Administrator

If its idleing fast enough to break pushrods, sounds like it would be getting air from a source much larger than the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.

Who built the engine?
Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Fred. I built the motor. This is my second build. The first time I made I made bunch of mistakes with the rotating assembly, main caps were not in the right place, And I had rods not in the right clynders. This time around I took my time and made sure that stuff was button up corrrectly. Now with the opti on my last post being off a tooth or so. Also when I crank the motor I hear alot of pulsing air somewhere.
Chris
Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 PM

ACE yes right when I start it the engine rpms go up fast and it holds around 2500 or so sometimes 3k. It doesnt drop at all.
CHris
Old 08-10-2008, 12:04 PM

ANy ideas guys? injeneer i.checked all hose and everything seems to be hooked correcty. No sign of any vacuum leak. The only thing that i can think of is maybe a bad opti spark? Also during cranking imhearing this air pulsing noises coming from the intake. I wonder if thats the intake valves opening.
chris
Old 08-10-2008, 12:26 PM

I think Injuneer is right, it has to be sucking air from somewhere.....could the IAC valve be stuck all the way open?

Also, can you take a vacuum gauge and check the vacuum level on the engine?
Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by LT1CST
Also during cranking I'm hearing this air pulsing noises coming from the intake.
chris
I'm not sure that is normal.....
Old 08-10-2008, 08:52 PM

How do I varify a IAC that may be stuck open? What do I look for?
Chris
Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Did you put the gasket in between the throttle body and the intake manifold, and tighten the TB bolts? Do you have the EGR valve, or at least a blocking plate on the hole for the EGR valve? Have you verified the large vacuum line to the power brake booster is not leaking? Have you verified that the throttle blades are fully closed?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 PM

Fred,
I have varified everything you stated. I checked the TB blades which are closed, Teh EGR port in the back of the intake has been blocked off, The brake booster line that leads to the intake. I pulled that off placed my thumb on one end and blew on the other. No LEAKS. TB bolts are secure and the gasket is in present in between the TB and the Intake.
Just in FYI, all of the componets on my motor were used during my last build with the exception of a used PCM, used OPTI (Still have old OPTI in garage) and a used MAF.
Chris
Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 PM

Theres something else that bugs me as well Injuneer, And thats when Im cranking the motor I hear this sucking type noises that has a pulsing type sound to it. I dont recall every hearing that type of sound before. Oh and I have new Roller Rockers.
Chris
Old 09-02-2008, 12:40 AM

UPdate 9/1/08
Found out the problem with my high idol. Intake gaskets were shot to hell. I swapped out the gaskets and walla!!! It idoled. I also got a tune too. After going through all of that I started putting trans fluid in the trans and now I think my trans is shot. LOL Never ending for me. Anyway I bought this transmission from a wrecked LT1. It had tranny fluid in it allready when I did the install. After putting in a couple of qaurts adding to what was in there I tried putting the car in gear to see if it would engage. NOthing. I placed more transmission fluid in there and still nothing. So right now im thinking I have a bad tranny. I know trans need alot of fluid so will see. I gotta leak in the back of my intake I think theres oil coming from under the rear seal area, wasnt doing that before the new gaskets. Thanks for your help people
Chris

Quick Reply: high idol after start up. 385 lt1 cont...