LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP questions on cam change, part replacement? yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 11:35 PM

HELP questions on cam change, part replacement? yes or no?

im changing the cam soon on my stock 96z, and i am going to add 1.6rr's as well, what all do i need to do this considering that it is a stock motor, i really have 3 questions:

1. Can i use the stock pushrods with the new cam and 1.6rr's?
2. Do i need new lifters(i've always heard that you need to change the lifters on the old hyd.(non-rollers) but do you need to change them on these motors w/the roller tappets??????has 88k on motor
3. What aftermarket valve springs can be used that will support either the hotcam or the cc305 and will fit the stock heads without mod's

thanks in advance guys for you help
Old 06-18-2003, 11:54 PM

You can use the stock pushrods if you use self-aligning rocker arms. If you decide to use non self-aligning rocker arms you need to use guideplates which also require hardened pushrods... the '96 LT1's did not come with hardened pushrods. I personally prefer the non-aligning rockers.

You do not typically have to change roller lifters. Yours are probably up to the task, especially if with the cams that do not require huge spring loads.

I feel the best springs to use on stock heads for cams of that size is the CMotorsports spring kit. They also sell full cam kits and will provide you with most of the hardware you need for a decent price.

Of course you will still have to get gaskets and other associated things to finish the swap. There are smaller details you need to decide on, for instance I would recommend upgrading to 7/16" rocker arm studs (this must be decided before purchasing the rockers) Things like PCM tuning are also recommended.

It goes without saying that you may want to invest in supportive mods like headers before going through the hassle of a cam swap. If you can save up the money it's best to swap heads during the cam change as well.