LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

help needed on cam install

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 12:23 AM

help needed on cam install

ok i thought the worst thing on lt1s was the opti spark but now its the crank hub. i have a hub puller on it right now and its not going anywhere i've tried everything...read all the insturctions, looked at pictures, went to autozone and oreilley's and home depot, and after two long days of battling this hub i have nothing to show for it. all i need is to get this hub off and thats it. please help
Old 09-29-2004, 12:55 AM

Lightbulb Re: help needed on cam install

Are you pulling against the bolt? Do you have an impact gun? They are a pain but if you know what to do and have an Impact it is pretty easy. Make sure your not pulling against you hub but a bolt that is backed off a bit. I usually take the crank hub bolt out and stick in a longer socket cap bolt so the end of the puller sits nicely in the socket of the socket cap bolt keeping it straight. Then once the hub starts to pull off until it reaches the bolt head, then you back off the bolt again and repeat as needed until the hub falls off. Do you have a tool to re-install the hub?
Old 09-29-2004, 01:20 AM

Re: help needed on cam install

to get the hub off I used a 3-jaw puller from auto-zone. I unbolted the center bolt and just re-threaded it two turns so I had something to push against. Just turn it slowly and it should pop off pretty easy. If you haven't taken it off before shield your eyes because it'll "pop" loose and some rust will come down.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:22 AM

whatever you do, don't do this.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292156
Old 09-29-2004, 01:53 AM

I find it easier to grab the balancer (large 2-prong puller), and remove it and the hub as one, then to remove them seperately.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:15 AM

yeah i have the 5 ton 3 claw puller for the pulley. and the hub puller too. i have the bolt in the middle of the crank hub out and had the hub puller from autozone bolted up to it and it wont move. the hub ears are set up like a "Y"(is that even TDC of the engine) and i have the three bolts through there with nuts and washers on the back side for extra strenght and have the big black "bolt" that came with the hub puller through the middle. i think some people said to put the hub bolt back in about two good turns and then put the big black "bolt" on. but what will that matter if theres no bolt in there in the first place. first of all is there any trick with a 6 speed. its in 5th gear and the e brake is on
thanks for the help
Old 09-29-2004, 06:04 AM

If you don't have a bolt in there to push against then you are pushing against the hub... Look inside the hub.. It has a smaller hole in it for the crank bolt then the puller has for a pulling rod....
Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 AM

Exclamation Can you read?

Already said several times in this and other threads. You need something in the bolt hole to push against! Your puller shaft is pushing against the inside of the hub. You are going to wind up like the ugly pics that were posted or the puller is going to break.
Old 09-29-2004, 11:24 AM

ok hub=0 hub puller, flathead screwdriver, crowbar, and two angry brothers=1

now my question is how much of a bitch is it to put back on
Old 09-29-2004, 11:28 AM

Remove the hub bolt, grab your keys and go to the auto parts store and buy a bolt (grade 8) about an inch and a half longer than the stock bolt.
Run the bolt in the hub 'till it bottoms out and is snug but far from tight. ( this prevents any threads being stripped out)
Use you puller on this so it has something to push against. A little PB helps too. You are pushing off on the hub and not the crank shaft snout as has been stated.
Mark the keyway position on the hub for re-assembly, while your at it.