LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help me to name these pieces.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 08:33 PM

Help me to name these pieces.

Ok I'm starting to fix my wrecked Z and am probaly going to end up buying most of the front doghouse. The problem is I dont know what the name of some of these parts are so could someone help me to name them so when I start calling junkyards I know that they know what piece I'm looking for.

Ok the first one is the metal piece running across the front of the engine bay. The cover for the radiator bolts right up to this and also the headlight assembly does to. I was told by a friend that it is called the front core support but I don't know if that's right.

The other piece is the front "brace" that is right under the passenger side fender. It extends from the door jam area out to the first peice I mentioned and is welded to it. I was also told by the same guy that its called the "shock tower" but I'm unsure of this either.

I would post pics of these except I don't have a place to host them so if you know some about body repair and want a pic of what I taking about I can email you some. These are some pretty big parts to the car so they shouldn't be to hard to figure out what I'm talking about. T.i.a.

Later
Old 03-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Banned

Re: Help me to name these pieces.

Originally posted by 95m6
Ok I'm starting to fix my wrecked Z and am probaly going to end up buying most of the front doghouse. The problem is I dont know what the name of some of these parts are so could someone help me to name them so when I start calling junkyards I know that they know what piece I'm looking for.

Ok the first one is the metal piece running across the front of the engine bay. The cover for the radiator bolts right up to this and also the headlight assembly does to. I was told by a friend that it is called the front core support but I don't know if that's right.

The other piece is the front "brace" that is right under the passenger side fender. It extends from the door jam area out to the first peice I mentioned and is welded to it. I was also told by the same guy that its called the "shock tower" but I'm unsure of this either.

I would post pics of these except I don't have a place to host them so if you know some about body repair and want a pic of what I taking about I can email you some. These are some pretty big parts to the car so they shouldn't be to hard to figure out what I'm talking about. T.i.a.

Later
I know what your talking about, but i dont kow the name-
however it sounds like you need a new bumper cover, and after looking for a while at nothing but $700+, I found a place that sells them for $115 shipped prepped and primed

let me know if u need their #
Old 03-16-2003, 08:54 PM

The piece in front is called a radiator core support. The other does sound like you are describing the strut tower. Most junk yard make ya buy the whole front clip anyway.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:04 PM

Is that bumper cover OEM or OEM "Style"...On ebay they are selling them for around that price except they are oem "style" ones...I'd rather spend the money for an oem piece rather than just an imitation. But thanks for the info maybe it can help someone else out.

Btw This is a hard lesson learned to keep my foot out of the gas pedal. It sucks when your parents tell you that you're going to fix it by yourself and that you can't take it to a body shop. Definalty won't be doing stupid stuff anymore though and it is cheaper.

Later
Old 03-16-2003, 09:05 PM
Banned

i was tlaking front b-cover
Old 03-16-2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by wrencher
The piece in front is called a radiator core support. The other does sound like you are describing the strut tower. Most junk yard make ya buy the whole front clip anyway.
Thanks!

That sucks that they will probaly make me buy it all, I just want those 2 pieces and not the whole d@mn thing..I saw on ebay a whole front clip go for $1200! I really can't afford that right now and my whole front of my car is apart..Maybe they will be nice and let me grab what I want becuase I don't need the wheel-well part of the passenger side or the drivers side of it just the piece that extends forward and the radiator core support.

Also anyone know if these pieces are the same for 93-02 cars? Or are they differnet for a Lt1 and a Ls1?

Later

Last edited by 95m6; 03-16-2003 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:47 PM

Well I called around today and found the front radiator core support for only $100 except nobody around here had a useable passenger side front strut tower. And for anyone else that might need to know, apperently the radiator core suppost is the same for both the Lt1 and Ls1 body styles. Just hope that after someone around gets in a front tower suppoort thats useable they dont end up makeing me buy the whole front end clip for just htat one piece.

Also, for people in autobdy repair, how bad of a messed up front strut tower would you bend back to make it fit right? The only thing really wrong with mine is that its bent upwards about an inch or so and the at the point that it bent at is creased. Would you consider trying to salvage this piece or just replace the piece?

Thanks
Later
Old 03-17-2003, 06:58 PM

Most of the time if the stuff is not bent too bad, they can straighten it all on a frame machine.