LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help me choose between Hotcam and CC305

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 08:38 AM

Help me choose between Hotcam and CC305

I have done a lot of searching and reading about the two cams, but please help me out.

Just planning out my future modifications. Anything I do has to be totally streetable. That’s why I’m looking at the Hotcam or the CC305 and not a bigger cam. I don’t want to have to keep my idle RPM’s high just to keep the cam from stalling the car. I will take the car to the strip, but that’s not my main intent.

Anyway, I’ve heard sound clips of both and they seem fairly similar and I love the sound. What I want is a wide power band. I don’t red line my LT1 very often, so if one cam starts making power earlier in RPM, that is what I would like. Also, I don’t want them to cause hesitation at idle. Anyone have problems with this? In other words, I would like the sound of a little lope, and the pull of a new cam.

I will put the cam in after I do long tubes and full exhaust. I don’t plan on doing heads though until quite a while after the cam has been in, mainly due to cost.

What do these cams do to the drivability of the car, in your own words.

Oh yeah, how much was your fuel economy effected after the cam install.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-23-2003, 08:50 AM

Both are good for what you want but the CC305 is a little bigger but the Hot cam kit price you can't beat. You can't go wrong with either one. Some guy here got his car to go into the high 12 low 11's with a hotcam.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the reply.

The price difference between the two isn't too important to me right now. I don't mind paying a little extra for a better product, but from what I've read, the hotcam and the CC305 are almost equal, so the hotcam is the better deal.

I'm just waiting for someone to give me good reason to go with the CC305 over the hotcam. I've heard the springs may be a little weak in the hotcam kit, but it seems to work for most people.

Are the RR's that come with the hotcam very inferior to the CC RR's?

Thanks.

Any more opinions?

Dan
Old 07-23-2003, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by DamianLT1
Some guy here got his car to go into the high 12 low 11's with a hotcam.
I think he meant low 12's high 11's

After the hotcam the only problem I noticed with it is a loss of low end torque, the car doesn't like to just lug along in slow traffic in 1st gear like it used to. I used to be able to just leave it in first and the car would crawl along no problem, now if I try that the car wants to lurch and jump to much. From what I hear this is a common problem with similar and larger cams, I think this is what everyone refers to as cam "surge". Other than that everything else has been a huge improvement over the stock cam, great midrange power and pulls much harder up to 6000rpms. I really didn't notice any difference in gas mileage but I never paid a lot of attention to it in the past. If I sat in traffic a lot and it was my daily driver the surge in the low end would start to get on my nerves, but I don't drive it daily anymore so it's not a big deal. Lots of guys here daily drive much bigger cams and head cars and claim next to no drivability problems, maybe I'm just getting too old or something
Old 07-23-2003, 09:28 AM

Thanks Greg.

That's exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

Dan
Old 07-23-2003, 09:37 AM

Dan, where did you get the sound clips? I have a particular interest in this because I am contemplating the exact same things you are.. Would love to hear them!!

Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-23-2003, 09:41 AM

I found the sound clips on this site. I did a search. I'll try to find the post again. There was a post that had all the popular cams in it.

Here it is, about half way down the page:
http://www.camaross.com/forums/showt...am+sound+clips

Dan

Last edited by stereomandan; 07-23-2003 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:44 AM

You say you don't redline that much. If you get the HotCam, that is pretty much what you are going to have to do to go seriously fast. There isn't much going under 2500rpm with the Hotcam, but from about 3000-6200rpm, it hauls. It is very streetable though, not too lumpy on the idle, and just a little bit of surge. Get appropriate gears if you want to enjoy your Hotcam to the max. I don't know anything about the CC305, I am pretty sure some others will tell you all about it. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:52 AM

Yeah, I should restate that. I do redline the engine, but it's not my "normal" driving style. Normally, when I get on it, it still shift between 4500-5000 rpms. If I'm racing, then I hit redline. I realize that with either cam, the max power just keeps climbing with RPM, but I was wondering if one had the HP start to come on lower in RPM.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 07-23-2003, 01:45 PM

Anything I do has to be totally streetable.
I have a 230/236-112 XE grind in my 95. It is totally streetable, even with the stock 3.43 gears I have. I drive it all over the place in stop and go Los Angeles traffic with no problem.

When you look at the torque curve, it is above 300 ft-lbs at the rear wheels all the way from 2000 to the 6400-RPM redline. It's hard to discern the peak, since the curve is really flat.

It feels stock on the low end, but the top end just keeps pulling.

Just an opinion from the other side of things....

BRAD
Old 07-23-2003, 01:56 PM

llafro,

Thanks. Wouldn't I need to port my heads with that cam?

What kind of gas milage do you get?
Old 07-23-2003, 02:16 PM

cc305 owner here.... With full bolt ons (long tubes), 48mm TB and stock heads the car makes 313 ft lbs of torque at 1500 rpms.
Low end is still fine.. but going up top is when she shines. Rev limit is at 6300 and the power does not drop really at all from 5700-6300.. stays within 10wrhp of peak horse power. Very streetable cam... I got comp R pushrods and some nice springs. The valve train components i bought with my cam are stronger than what comes in the hotcam kit. Also the springs that come in the hot cam kit arent meant for the hot cam. They are too soft. Barely useable.

Im happy with the cam... reprogrammed the pcm to idle 200rpms higher. Car runs great. Trapped 107 with stock heads and tb. I hit the rev limiter, bogged on the launch, no power shifting, and it was 90 degrees out... sea level.. It was to packed to get another run in Sure I could get at least 109 out of the set up. Car is fully loaded, leather/t-top.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by ZDriver96
cc305 owner here....Low end is still fine.. but going up top is when she shines.
Agreed!! I love my cc 305 cam. It really woke my LT1 up "fo sho"!!! and it sounds alot more like a Muscle car with that loopyness in the idle....Hey ZDriver please post/or IM me all the other valve train components u got along with the cam (lifters, pushrods, valve springs) cause Comp recomends the 986-16 springs but i wanted to know what another cc 305 guy uses with his cam, so let me know!! Also does the 986-16 spring kit come with all the nessecary hardware? retainers, keepers and such??
And lastly When i put new lifters in i Bought melling factory lifters, i didn't really think about it at first, then i began to worry that these were not good for the cam and that i F-ed really bad, but then i began thinking Wait, these are hydraulic so they adjust with pressure and what not. So if anybody has any feedback on my lifter situation please Post of PM/AIM me let me know!!!
Sorry for high jacking this thread
Old 07-23-2003, 03:13 PM

If you're looking at the 305, why not the 503 (224/230)? The 503 has a flatter torque curve and should be a little less peaky on power and torque than the Hotcam or 305.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:38 PM

Just what is the cc305? I dont see it on Comp Cams website. What are the cam specs? Dur at .50? LSA ? Lift?

Quick Reply: Help me choose between Hotcam and CC305