LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP! I cant get the automatic transmission filter seal out of the tranny!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 12:07 PM

HELP! I cant get the automatic transmission filter seal out of the tranny!

I am doing my filter again, as last time I forgot to remove the tranny filter seal from the tranny, and installed a new filter which just pushed the new seal down, and now I cant get the old seal out of the tranny.

I have tried prying it out with a flathead screwdriver with no luck, and I was constently worrying about f'in something up with the screw driver.

Do they make some kind of puller for this, because it is really in there.

Thanks,
James
Old 06-10-2003, 12:27 PM

man this sounds familiar. Same trouble on my wifes 3.8L firebird. It is a b**** to get out. The thinnest screwdriver you can find use it. Like a jewlers screwdriver. Also dont be afraid to put some force on it. I had a hard time at first doing that Becuase I wasnt for sure where the seal was and what was part of the tranny.

Keep trying, and good luck

Jason
Old 06-10-2003, 12:32 PM

You can also use the hooked end of a scribe if you're careful.

- Brent
Old 06-10-2003, 01:00 PM

Take a center punch and dimple the flange, then use that dimple and a punch with a larger tip to collapse the seal in. Use a pair of pliers to yank it out once it's fairly loose. Be careful not to score the bore where the seal get pressed in. Use a socket of the appropriate size and a hammer to knock in the new seal.

-Dave
Old 06-10-2003, 08:14 PM

I hope this is your problem, after reading your other note on problems after changing the fluid. It isn't as uncommon as you may think. The seal is a metal reinforced rubber ring. It pushes up into the pump of the trans. The pump is aluminum. Some care is necessary but even if you score the pump wall, the new seal should work.
I typically use a rounded pick to pull it out. It usually doesn't pull right out, I have to jerk at it for a few minutes before it starts to move. If you get a good grip in it, clamp a pair of vice grips on the pick and tap down with a hammer. If all else fails, do what Dave suggests and use a punch, chisel or screwdriver to cut or deform the seal so you can pull it out with pliers. Once again, be careful of the Al. walls of the pump. Good Luck!