LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help with EGR CODE P0400 and EGR simulator

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 08:59 AM

Help with EGR CODE P0400 and EGR simulator

Okay here is the deal I have a 1997 Camaro Z28 with MAC headers and complete exhaust system with the off road pipe. So I know the car is throwing the P0400 code because of the off road pipe. I did the egr simulator fix by Hooking a relay into the map with about 78 ohms of resistance but I am still getting the code.

Here is my question can any of the other compents still effect the system and throw the code like the egr vavle or solenoid? If not what else could be causing it to generate the code.

Any help would be great, I am not opposed to putting a high flow cat on there but I don't think that will fix the problem.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Re: Help with EGR CODE P0400 and EGR simulator

Originally Posted by Workn
Okay here is the deal I have a 1997 Camaro Z28 with MAC headers and complete exhaust system with the off road pipe. So I know the car is throwing the P0400 code because of the off road pipe. I did the egr simulator fix by Hooking a relay into the map with about 78 ohms of resistance but I am still getting the code.

Here is my question can any of the other compents still effect the system and throw the code like the egr vavle or solenoid? If not what else could be causing it to generate the code.

Any help would be great, I am not opposed to putting a high flow cat on there but I don't think that will fix the problem.
Your relay should be in place of solenoid. Check wires. Easy fix - get a custom programming and program codes out. Still will be for off-road use only.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:41 AM

So should I unplug the solenoid? I knew it would simulate the solenoid fuction but like I said it is still throwing the code.

Getting it programed out would only turn the light off not fix my problem, the ligth doesn't bother me. The problem is it is for off road use only.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:36 PM

I had an offroad pipe and that code will flash in due time like clockwork. I just used my handheld reader everytime my ses light came on to make sure it was that code and then just erased it. I never really got bothered by it but eventually put the Cats back in so now I don't have to see my ses waving hello to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:43 PM

I could ever get the simulator to work for me either. It would delay the code from coming on and i could drive around town with out it, but if i got on the highway it would always come back.

I eventually just had the code programmed out.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:31 PM

See I don't think I can do that because of the way they test emissions here, if it is not going to work then I will need to put a cat on it. I would like to get more imput from anybody else before I buy a cat.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Why dont you guys just have Ion tune it out?

Workn... you don't live in NY, do you?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:03 PM

No I am in the Land Of Lincolon and as for as I know when they do the OBDII test they scan to make sure all the test have been run and passed. So if you clear the codes and go in they will tell you the car has not cycled enough and if you delete the test it will show up as not being tested.

Is there anybody from Illinois who had this deleted and still passed the test?
Old 07-19-2005, 03:15 PM

Don't quote me on this but in most states you can only have 2 not readys. If your car is stock and you get it tested with the EGR deleted then it will still pass. The one thing you will have to worry about is the visual inspection. I just got mine inspected Saturday and they rolled it up on a ramp and visually checked for CATS. They also popped the hood and I thought I was going to fail since I capped off the AIR tubes, but they didn't say anything. They just said get my exhaust leak fixed and passed me anyway I'll be fixing that leak this weekend when I put on the pacesetters and OR y-pipe. I'm also going to gut my current CATS and weld them up there and see how it smells, sounds and how much power it puts out.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:15 PM

Yeah I think Illinois is the same way but I would rather just get it to workout just incase there is something else. Right now I am looking at putting a cat on the car I guess, not really a big deal it might actually might help it run better.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:19 PM

Yeah, NY is trying to be like Cali. I believe we're only allowed one not ready. Also, there is no more handing stickers out for 96 and newer vehicles. It is out of the inspectors hands now. They have to hook the car up to the computer and it sends the information to DMV. DMV then sends a response back whether it passes or fails. Then it also has to pass the visual. Then, after it passes everything, the computer prints out the sticker. Completely out of the inspectors hands now. It's getting so pathetic these days. Luckily with 95 and older cars, it's still all visual.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 AM

Here it is visual and rollers for older cars and OBDII scan for 96 and up. I think anything pre 1978 gets visual and standing idel test but don't quote me on that.

It looks like I am just going with a universal cat and I hope that does the trick.