LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP: Drivers-side rear-most manifold bolt was snapped off!! What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 05:38 AM

HELP: Drivers-side rear-most manifold bolt was snapped off!! What to do?

While getting ready for my Jet-Hot LT installation...

I was feeling around my drivers-side manifold locating the bolt heads so that I could spray them with PB blaster and I found out that the rear-most manifold bolt on the drivers-side was loose. So loose that it wiggled back and forth. In fact, I was able to remove it with my hand and low and behold at some point in the past it has snapped off in the head. I know it was in the past because the snapped portion of the bolt is as rusty as the rest of it. I've never had a ratchet on that bolt, ever.

Here's a pic of the bolt: http://www.classicgaming.com/vcoleco...readybroke.jpg

I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that this bolt hole on the head isn't used on an LT header installation; there is another one next to it that's used instead. Does anyone know if this is true? I certainly hope so. From the looks of the bolt in the above picture, I'm fairly certain I'm going to find out that the bolt is snapped flush with the head surface when I take the manifold off tomorrow - which means I won't be able to get a hold of it to back it out.

f*** me!! If that hole in the head is required by my LT headers then I'll just say @#$@# the header installation until next spring when I rip the heads off to install P&P heads.

HELP!
Old 11-01-2003, 10:02 AM

Broken manifold bolts in the last hole are common. Generally people discover them when they are doing headers.
I don't know about Jet Hots but Hookers use the hole closer to the port and as far as I know all other headers do too.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the response!! I searched the net and after looking several pictures of LT1 heads I started feeling that the last bolt being broken was okay. The Jet-Hot headers use the bolt holes that are closer to the exhaust ports. Thanks again!
Old 11-01-2003, 01:18 PM

Yup you dont use the last bolt hole. I have jet hots also. Pics here

http://community.webshots.com/user/blown383

-B