LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

HELP!! car wont start after all this work

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 02:31 PM

HELP!! car wont start after all this work

Hey all, over the past 3 weeks my friends and I have been doin some things to my car. Intake Manifold leak, removing air and egr, oil pan gasket, and putting in a new clutch/flywheel. We finished everything yesterday. I finished up a few things, connected battery etc.. Went in the car to start her up, and at first i had NO lights NOTHING!! So i thought the battery was drained from being disconnected for 1 month (4 month old optima sealed gell battery) I took it to the shop, got a new one for free. I go to put it in the car and i go to crank it and i hear click click click like starter is moving but not enough power to turn the flywheel. So at this point there has to be a drain somewhere cus when i shut the key off and turn it back on i get no lights or anything agian. First i think its the starter, i bolt it, and i can spin the gears perfectly fine. Do you guys think its the altinator? Please help, i gotta get this thing done and outta my garage.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:05 PM

Did you try jumpstarting it, or putting a charger on the battery and trying to crank it?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:09 PM

Tried jumping it, used a 98 chevy blazer. Lets say, I charged my car for 20minutes with the blazer, i get lights and everything while the car is charging, everything power wise seems to work. I try to start her and all i hear it the starter trying to turn the flywheel. Lets say, I took the jumper cables off and just try to start it with the fresh battery, it will try to crank once, and then it seems ALL the power in the battery will drain becuase when i try agian, i get no lights, or ANYTHING. So i have a draw somewhere. I hooked the jumper cables on agian, i unbolted the starter and had someone try to crank the car, the starter gear comes out fine and spins free, the starter looks fine from my expirence. The only other thing i can think of it the altinator, Any suggestions? How does the altinator play a role in the starting of a car?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:15 PM

Did you make sure you have all the right wires going to the starter and that they are tight? Check and make sure all your grounds are good. And if you have a volt meter put it on the battery before you start it and see how many volts it has then keep it on there while trying to crank it over. See if it drops to nothing or not. Good Luck..

Sean
Old 08-24-2003, 03:22 PM

all the connections look perfect, i dont have a volt meter but i can bet the amps drop to 0 when i try to start. I need to get this car finished within the next few days. Do you think if i replace altinator it will help?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:28 PM

No the alt. dosent have anythig to do with cranking the carup.. Just double check all wires and make sure you didnt pinch any when you put the trans back in.Check all the simple stuff first and go back over everything you did to make sure you just didnt forget to do something... Good Luck

Sean
Old 08-24-2003, 03:38 PM

The starter spins, i hear it, i see it, why wont it kick over? I mean the engine doesn't even turn, i was thinking maybe it was at a bad spot for the flywheel and i turned the crank and still nothing :-( Anyone?
Old 08-24-2003, 03:41 PM

If it is a battery problem the starter will spin very easy when there is no load on it. So it woulnt take alot of voltage to turn it freely.. Put it behind a 10.5 C/R motor and it needs some volts to spin... Have you tried taking the battery out of the blazer and putting it in the car Might have gotten a bad battery...
Old 08-24-2003, 05:07 PM

I see you did the manual fan mod

Check all the wires over again, check chassis grounds and check the Ignition wires man. My car lagged hardcore and I had a loose ignition wire
Old 08-24-2003, 05:13 PM
Banned

Did you do what i told you to?

Go look under the car and see if the balancer spins when someone turns the key.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:28 PM

I dont even know where to begin

As some of ya know over the last few weeks i have done a few things to my car:

Fixed intake manifold leak
Installed spec stage 3 clutch
Installed Spec Billet Flywheel
Fixed oil pan leak
Installed poly trans mount
Installed poly torque arm mount

I car makes an INSANE griding noise when i start it (prob need a new starter for some odd reason) The car also has a pretty bad grinding type noise, its REALY bad, from the rear engine/trans area. Anyone EVER have this problem? Its going to the shop tomarrow.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:57 PM

Nick, I think you should try checking your clutch / flywheel install. Seems like your flywheel isnt turning as easily as it should, or somthing isnt letting it. It would make the starter not able to turn the flywheel, and it could explain the grinding noise as well.

Just my opinion
Old 08-25-2003, 06:15 AM

That is true, hey all, question, if the clutch disc is put on the wrong way the car wont engage at all right? Just making sure Btw the car atleast starts now, this grinding is driving me insane.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:20 AM

try to turn the motor over by the crank hub bolt. Or if you have enought people try to push start it.(but I would make sure it turns freely before push starting it) What I mean by freely is to see if it will rotoate without hitting a dead stop.. It will still be hard to turn by hand. The grinding noise sounds like maybey you need to shim the starter too. Unless something was put on wrong or wrong part sent to you..
Old 08-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Did you check the starter gear-to-flywheel gear clearance?

You said its starting now??? How did you fix it to that point?

Quick Reply: HELP!! car wont start after all this work