LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help Asap...cam Bearings!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 10:06 PM

Help Asap...cam Bearings!!!

Okay, so me and a buddy are doing the hotcam install on my car and we got it all down to where we have the timing cover off and we look at the chain and it is SOOOOOOO loose that you can ALMOST pull it off without taking any of the gears off.

So then, we pull the camshaft out and take a look at the bearings. The front bearing is absolutely pitiful...it isn't even silver anymore and all of the babitting is wore off of it. (This would probably explain my miss on ONLY cylinder number 1 and 3 occaisionally).

Now, my question is, do you have to pull the motor to do the front 4 cam bearings??? I know you have to to get at the rear one, but do you have to to install the front 4??? The rear one I am just going to leave alone since I have a 383 project underway for it. I was thinking that I could just pull the whole front clip off and do it that way.

Any advice??? I want my baby fixed....
Old 07-19-2003, 10:19 PM

There was a thread not long ago that numerous people said they noticed the front bearing did not look that great after pulling the stock cam. Some said it was not unusual for it to look a little ugly. If you are concerned, mic it.

You need a tool to replace the inner bearings. If it will fit while the engine is still in the car, then you won't have to pull it. It probably won't be a lot of fun, though.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:28 AM

Yeah....that front bearing looked like CRAP!!! I'm assuming this front bearing is what caused my timing chain to be so sloppy. I suppose I should probably take a light and look to see what all of the other cam bearings look like in there.

I will have to see if I can dig up a mic and see what kind of clearance I've got in there. If all looks well with the other cam bearings and the front one is the only bad one, then I might as well just replace the front one and call it good. That one won't be too bad to do anyways.

Thanks shoebox...
Old 07-24-2003, 01:07 PM

Decided to pull the motor and replace all of the cam bearings...they were all a little worn. Check some pics out...

http://jasenwfo.0catch.com/images/Dubs/DSC00014.JPG
http://jasenwfo.0catch.com/images/Dubs/DSC00018.JPG
http://jasenwfo.0catch.com/images/Dubs/DSC00019.JPG