LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Help adjusting e-brake.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 04:32 PM

Help adjusting e-brake.

A few months ago I put new pads on the rear of my Z28. I didn't really know much about it. I just squeezed the pistons in to install the new pads and TADA, the brakes were done. Well, It seem that the E-brake sucks most of the time now. Most of the time time you can push the car with the E-brake on. I'm sure I did something wrong. What was it?
Old 05-27-2003, 04:45 PM
Banned

did you mount the calipers on correctly???

e-brake is nothing more than a cable that runs to the rear brakes
Old 05-27-2003, 08:39 PM

I think so. I'll check them out when I put the drag radials on if the east coast monsoon ever stops. We have had just 6 days without rain this month. I did one side at a time, so I would have something to look at when it went back together. Is it normal for our cars to go threw the rear pads faster than the front? I have put two sets of pads on the rear, and none on the front in about 60K miles.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:58 PM

The e-brake is self adjusting. If you back up a few times it should snug up and work better. Hope that helps.
I have a 94 and went though a couple of sets of rear pads in the time it took to wear the front down. I put new slotted rotors all the way around and they seem to wear even now.
Old 05-28-2003, 01:53 AM

Check on the brakes. The e-brake is just a cable that goes back to each rear wheel, and it hooks on to each wheel. Maybe one of the wires fell off your brake...it happened to me. Just slip it back on and you're back in business.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:13 PM

Well, I had the car on the lift a few days ago and the cables were attached. I hope I didn't come across as a total dumbass in my first post. I just didn't know if I should have done something differant to re-adjust the E-brake after the new pads went on. I'm a motor guy, I make HP, rarely use the brakes

Any how, I'll try the backing up thing. Is that with the Ebrake engaged? I would assume so.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:22 AM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the backing up self adjusting thing is just for drum brakes. But to answer your question, ebrake off, just hit the brakes a few times while backing up. But with rear discs, I'm pretty sure that does nothing. I did notice after doing new pads that when I held the button in and "pumped" the e-brake handle up and down a couple times, it firmed up to the point where I'd pull the handle up about 2 inches and fully engage the ebrake. Try that.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:01 AM

I had the same problem when I replaced my rear pads. Turns out that THERE IS an e-brake adjustment procedure. Get a repair manual (I have a Hayes - $15) for your car and look in the "Brakes" section. There is a few paragraphs in there, including some pictures, that show you how to remove the "free slack" from the cables attached to each caliper. Yes, it is self adjusting for the most part but sometimes the amount of slack at each caliper will differ when new pads are installed. If you don't balance the slack you can wind up cranking on the e-brake too hard and pop the cable-head off of one of the cables...ask me how I know...

It's really not that hard to adjust it, just get a manual and follow the directions. Worst part is removing the wheel to get to the caliper. Good luck!