LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hei

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 02:35 AM

Hei

I am looking to buy this kit...

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...68&prmenbr=361

Will this work with my Stock (cept moroso intake, exhaust) 1996 Z28? I believe i have a stock HEI right? So this should be no big deal right?
Old 02-15-2004, 02:37 AM

NO NO NO man you have an LT1 with the dreaded OPTIspark ignition. That kit WONT work at all.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:26 AM

OPTIspark, wtf is that? And does Moroso make a kit like the one linked above for it? Thanks, Nick
Old 02-15-2004, 03:31 AM

http://www.fbodyconnection.com/manuals/optisprk.htm

That is the best think i could find on OPTI in short notice. On the 93-97 LT1s Gm used and Ignition system known as optispark. The engine has NO conventional distributor just a crank driven sensor that feeds to the opti modual and tells it what to do. Im sure there are people on here that know a great deal more than I do about OPTI so I hope the chime in and help you further understand your ignition system.

Jeremy

Last edited by Sleeper_Z; 02-15-2004 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:09 AM

The opti was also used on the 92 lt1 vettes.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:23 PM

So, what do i do? I need a cap, rotor, plugs and wires. And i guess now that i can not use a normal distributor, right? So wtf i do? who sells a kit? does anyone? Jegs does not have optispark anything...what i do now? Thanks, Nick
Old 02-15-2004, 01:27 PM

You should let us know what you are trying to do with your engine first.
Old 02-15-2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by StrokerWannaB
So, what do i do? I need a cap, rotor, plugs and wires. And i guess now that i can not use a normal distributor, right? So wtf i do? who sells a kit? does anyone? Jegs does not have optispark anything...what i do now? Thanks, Nick
You buy an Opti Spark from GM and I would highly suggest having someone knowledgable install it judging from your post.

-Shannon
Old 02-15-2004, 09:43 PM

ok, when i bought the car i was told that i needed to get a new cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I said ok kool. So i figured it was just standard GM **** and all i had to do was that stuff, then i find out that it's OPTIspark and i know NOTHING about that. I was going to go with the moroso kit and now i find that they don't make anything partaining to that. I read another post that said if i tapped through my intake mani i could convert it to standar GM distributor. Is this true? What all would i need?

As far as the install, i have a good friend who does most of the work i need with me. He's a Professional Mech. ASE master and all that good jazz. So i have someone to help me when i get caught up on something...I am used to the older GM stuff, i had a 75 Camaro and he HELPED me rebuild the 350. I know enough about the internals to do a major overhaul, i am just VERY unfamiliar with the Ignition/ Distribution setup on this car, and don't wanna Mess it up. Thanks For the help, Nick
Old 02-15-2004, 10:02 PM

Are you actually having a drivability problem or do you think you need to do something to the ignition system because someone told you to? You don't need to mess with the distributor (optispark) unless there is a problem with it. When you do have a problem with it, replace the complete unit. It will cost you ~$200 at wholesale price.

If you wanted to put a conventional, rear-mounted distributor in your car, it would involve a lot of work and money. You would practically have to pull the engine just to get it back there. That's just one reason the LT1 has it front mounted.

The optispark is a good distributor in a somewhat bad location.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:31 PM

That kit Fits 74 and newer Chevy V8 with HEI ignitions, except with centerbolt valve covers, which lt1's have, good idea though. Save money buy a msd 6al or 6a ignition box and a new opti,(6al has soft touch rev control, 6a does not) Oh, and if you are looking for your opti its behind the water pump, follow the spark plug wires!
Old 02-16-2004, 03:47 PM

the car feels as if it not getting spark. I know it is, just not enough or not at the right time. i am believe it might be outta time by a little bit, but i was just asking about the setup cause i was told that the car needed those things aforementioned above. So would it be a bad idea to go ahead and buy new wires plugs and the MSD 6al? Or you think it would be ok? Thanks, Nick
Old 02-16-2004, 03:49 PM

If you don't know the condition of them and you are having ignition problems, plugs and wires should be the first things you replace.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:54 PM

sounds like someone wants to spend money...................Is it missfiring?if its "not getting enough spark" i would think its somethin like the coil,but more than likely,its in your head.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:59 PM

An MSD ignition box will do absolutely nothing for you, right now.

Quick Reply: Hei