LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heeeeelllppp!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!heeeeelllppp!!!

Alright, i had that rough idle problem i posted about not too long ago. im pretty sure thats been fixed. well i put new plug wires that arent arching on it, now i have a HALF dead miss on cyl 3. its enough for the ecm to catch it, but if unplug that injector it really starts to run like crap (complete dead miss)! here is a list of what i have done to find the problem...

1. changed the #3 plug 5 times
2. changed the wires
3.new ac delco opti and MSD cap and rotor in the last month
4. switched coil
5. switched 1 & 3 injectors
6. tested injector voltage (14.0 on all)
7.tested compression 170-180 psi on all
8. tested injector with a noid light
9. checked spark..got PLENTY

I know its getting fire, but at night the fire is an orangish color, it should be blue, but this is everything that has been done and i should run smooth as hell

Last edited by green96ta; 03-06-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:15 PM

Pull the plug wire at the plug. Stick a test plug on the end (ground the body) and observe the spark. Compare it to another cylinder. If the spark is comparably weak, it is either the plug wire, problem with the distributor cap or rotor contact with that cylinder.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 PM

just done that

just done that while i was outside waiting for someone to reply...the spark tester will arch all the way out to 2 inches!! so the spark is great. and i have tried switching the wire too
Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM

im gonna drive it off of a cliff

i swear im gonna drive this car off of a cliff, with me in it. pulled the valve cover off, and everything looks wonderful! i just dont get it, everything looks wonderful, and yet i still have a miss...what could it be?? something in the intake?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM

anyone??

surely there is someone out there who can offer a good suggestion!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Maybe the computer is screwed making the injector misfire, or a ground is causing it to misfire...
Old 03-06-2008, 09:21 PM

Heres a few of the things i have found that caused performance issues. (1) Plug wires routed wrong (2) Burnt plug wires (3) opti installed incorrectly (4) Opti harness was bad (5) Leaking injectors (6) rockers adjusted to tight (7) Valve spring worn out or broken (8). There are lots more and your problem could be something completely different. Has any thing been touched under the valve covers?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM

i would do a compression and leakdown test, you might have burned a valve.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by slingshot
Maybe the computer is screwed making the injector misfire, or a ground is causing it to misfire...
the injector is firing, checked it with a noid light

Originally Posted by mrmint69
Heres a few of the things i have found that caused performance issues. (1) Plug wires routed wrong (2) Burnt plug wires (3) opti installed incorrectly (4) Opti harness was bad (5) Leaking injectors (6) rockers adjusted to tight (7) Valve spring worn out or broken (8). There are lots more and your problem could be something completely different. Has any thing been touched under the valve covers?
nothing has been touched under the valve cover, they actually had never been off untill now. checked everything under the valve cover, and all is well. and on the opti harness, i dont believe that it would cause a miss on a single cylinder, maybe a p0300 random miss. keep in mind the car ran fine for 2 or three days before all of this happened

Originally Posted by dangalla
i would do a compression and leakdown test, you might have burned a valve.
already said i done that.... i let it hold the 180 psi for 10 minutes

thanks for all the help.. i believe i have covered all of the bases and i cannot believe i still have not found the problem
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by green96ta
the injector is firing, checked it with a noid light

nothing has been touched under the valve cover, they actually had never been off untill now. checked everything under the valve cover, and all is well. and on the opti harness, i dont believe that it would cause a miss on a single cylinder, maybe a p0300 random miss. keep in mind the car ran fine for 2 or three days before all of this happened

thanks for all the help.. i believe i have covered all of the bases and i cannot believe i still have not found the problem
No, you said compression test. Leakdown is something different.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 PM

well

either way, i done a leakdown test...i just cant figure out what in the world would be causing this...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Administrator

How did you determine that the lifters are functioning correctly?

Straight answer this time... did you do a compression test or a leakdown test?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

lol

well i did BOTH!!! and on the lifters i just took off the valve cover and started it to make sure that the valves were being opened..and they are

i see in your sig it says you have a th400 with OD didnt know that could be done..howd you manage that?

Last edited by green96ta; 03-06-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:11 AM

either way, i done a leakdown test...i just cant figure out what in the world would be causing this...

Hmm...a leakdown test does not use pressures up to 180 psi and takes a different apparatus than what is used for a compression test. Forgive me for being skeptical.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 PM

Maybe it is a false missfire?
I dont know the details but hopefully someone will.
His car has a CPS (crank position sensor) right?
That is the sensor that detects missfires? Right?
What tells that sensor there is a missfire and is that something that could be wrong? Or could the CPS be bad?

Green96ta, are you sure you are checking the #3 Cyl? What Cyl are you checking?
Have you talked to Madz28 to ask if it could be something in the tune? I think i had to have my missfire code turned off because of my cam, maybe something simular needs to be done with yours.