LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Heat sink compound for ign. contrl. mod.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 08:06 PM

There is now a small "how-to" for this.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:41 PM

The 93's set up must be slightly different(who would of thought) anyways, my coil is directly on the head, did your originally have just the nuts between the head and bracket, or did you add the nuts and washers too? On mine the inboard part goes in this order, head, bracket, evap hose bracket, then a short bolt. Then on the outboard is, head with a stud screwed in, on that is a nut, then some little metal bracket that hold the wire harness away from the manifold, then another nut. The grounds are on some hole on the out side part of the block I think.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by $hawn
The 93's set up must be slightly different(who would of thought) anyways, my coil is directly on the head, did your originally have just the nuts between the head and bracket, or did you add the nuts and washers too? On mine the inboard part goes in this order, head, bracket, evap hose bracket, then a short bolt. Then on the outboard is, head with a stud screwed in, on that is a nut, then some little metal bracket that hold the wire harness away from the manifold, then another nut. The grounds are on some hole on the out side part of the block I think.
The coil bracket was originally against the head. Both sides had studs that had an integral nut. So, even though your fasteners might have been a little different, they accomplished the same thing. I wonder if all 93s are this way or someone had changed out the stud on the inboard side to a bolt?
Old 03-24-2003, 10:57 PM

So you basically just witched the nuts and bracket around then huh. The bolt on mine looks to be a factory one, and the coil was a factory one, when I first got it. Think i'll just get a stud and another nut, and some washers, so that'll be 1/2 away from the head, should disapate heat easier, plus the heat sink on the areas we mentioned above, be a happier ICM.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:58 PM

Yeah, just basically moved the coil mounting to the outside of the stud nut.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:40 AM

Red face

I have been thinking about doing this, but now I'm wondering ... Why would the ICM be heat sinked to the heads if they are hotter than itself? My heads run at about 200 degrees. How hot would the ICM and coil get if they didn't have a heatsink? Maybe hotter than 200 degrees? Then spacing the bracket from the head would make them get hotter.

Any thoughts?
Old 03-30-2003, 08:47 PM

Mikey, the ICM needs to stay cool. If there were no heat sink it wouldn't get hotter than 200 degrees, so spacing it or moving it away from the head lessens the heat sink. Anyways sense I now have some heat sink compound which I got at radio shack for 2$, I have some left from the job on the ICM and coil&brackets, what else, or where else can I use this?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Mikey97Z
I have been thinking about doing this, but now I'm wondering ... Why would the ICM be heat sinked to the heads if they are hotter than itself? My heads run at about 200 degrees. How hot would the ICM and coil get if they didn't have a heatsink? Maybe hotter than 200 degrees? Then spacing the bracket from the head would make them get hotter.

Any thoughts?
Since numerous people have cured heat related problems by spacing the ICM away from the head, I would say it would be cooler.
There are a couple of ways to think of this. The head would provide a much larger heat sink, but after it gets hot, it will retain the heat and not dissipate it very fast. I think the ICM bracket would dissipate heat faster with a little space.