LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Heat sink compound for ign. contrl. mod.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 10:15 PM

Heat sink compound for ign. contrl. mod.

I took off my ignition control module today, and noticed that the heat sink compound was dryed up and crumbly, where all do I need to put the compound, behind the control module, between the coil bracket and head, or does that need to be clean for a good ground. Does the modele bracket to coil bracket need to be clean or need the compound? What brand seems to work good for you. Thanks

Last edited by $hawn; 03-23-2003 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:32 PM

Re: Heat sink compound for ign. contrl. mod.

Originally posted by $hawn
I took off my ignition control moduel today, and noticed that the heat sink compound was dryed up and crumbly, where all do I need to put the compound, behind the control moduel, between the coil bracket and head, or does that need to be clean for a good ground. Does the modeul bracket to coil bracket need to be clean or need the compound? what brand seems to work good for you. Thanks
Definitely between the module and the bracket and some between the bracket and head would not hurt, either. I am sure you could find some at Radio Shack or a computer store that would suffice.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:37 PM

So none between the two brackets then, or does it matter much. Thanks
Old 03-23-2003, 10:47 PM

So none between the two brackets then, or does it matter much. Thanks
<shrug> That would probably help with heat transfer, too.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:51 PM

Thanks, I just dont want to put any compound on something that needs to be grounded, but I guess none of those parts do. Thanks for the heads up like always.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:56 PM

Thanks, I just dont want to put any compound on something that needs to be grounded, but I guess none of those parts do. Thanks for the heads up like always.
The studs should ground it well. Also remember, this is not dielectric grease, so it should conduct anyway. You can/should also use it between the coil and the bracket.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:16 PM

I didnt think about it between the coil and it's bracket, although it's not all the way on the bracket, just the end part where it bolts to it, I forgot that the studs are whats grounds the coil. Heat isn't gonna take my module out hehe.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:10 AM

Heat sink compound needs to be applied between two mating surfaces that are transfering heat. So you want it between what is generating heat and it's heatsink.

BTW, I use heatsink compound for computers and I've recently done a test and found that regular Permatex Anti-seize compound (which most ppl have in the tool box) is a better heatsink compound than the tube of phillips heatsink compound I use to use. I now have tested it on 5 computers and I find it works a little better, much cheaper too.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by x7x7
BTW, I use heatsink compound for computers and I've recently done a test and found that regular Permatex Anti-seize compound (which most ppl have in the tool box) is a better heatsink compound than the tube of phillips heatsink compound I use to use. I now have tested it on 5 computers and I find it works a little better, much cheaper too.
Are you talking about the regular, silver stuff?
Old 03-24-2003, 01:09 PM

Believe it or not, yes.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:00 PM

That is really interesting!

So, how do you test the stuff?
Old 03-24-2003, 03:10 PM

I tested it by removing the compound I used before from the CPU and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol then applied the anti-seize (remember not to use to much!). I've done this on about 5 computers now and I've seen a decrease in the CPU operating temp by a few degrees on all of them.
Old 03-24-2003, 05:44 PM

Lightbulb Just a little info

I was having trouble with low rpm hesitation on my car. The way I fixed it was rather than put heat sink compound between the bracket and the head I used 2 spaces and longer bolts so I actually have an airgap of about 3/8" between the back of the bracket and the head. I still put a fresh layer of heat sink compound between the module and the bracket though. apparently my stumble was caused by the module picking up too much heat from the head.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:22 PM

Re: Just a little info

Originally posted by Grease
I was having trouble with low rpm hesitation on my car. The way I fixed it was rather than put heat sink compound between the bracket and the head I used 2 spaces and longer bolts so I actually have an airgap of about 3/8" between the back of the bracket and the head. I still put a fresh layer of heat sink compound between the module and the bracket though. apparently my stumble was caused by the module picking up too much heat from the head.
That is a coincidence. I was just doing the "ICM cooling mod" today and plan on putting up a short "how-to" (there is not much to it). I know there are several people that have done this to relieve a heat related problem
Old 03-24-2003, 07:57 PM

Re: Just a little info

Originally posted by Grease
I just finished doing the LT4 HC, and I did the same with a pair of flat washers. It wasn't any problem before this, but I figured the cylinder head couldn't be much of a heat sink.

Quick Reply: Heat sink compound for ign. contrl. mod.