LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 09:07 PM

heads

it seems many users on here are satisfied w/ the stock heads on the lt1...

i was just wondering how many people on here have aftermarket cams but decided to just port or leave the stock heads in there.

and any coments would be cool
Old 12-07-2003, 09:13 PM

I dont think it is as much of people being satisfied as it is a budget problem. There is a lot to gain from porting stock heads, and a lot of people with cams either plan on eventually doing heads, or just couldnt afford it at the time of the cam. I waited until I could afford both, and am doing them this winter. If you look at the average stock headed 306, 847 etc... many guys have hit 350 rwhp, but many people with ported heads/intakes have hit 400, so it basically depends on your goals for the car, and what cam you are choosing. It seems that the higher lift cams benefit even more from the increased airflow.
Brandon
Old 12-07-2003, 10:12 PM

I agree with Brandon........ Its a total budget thing. Think about it, if your putting in a cam you want power, who wouldn't put on heads? For the most part, in order to get the most out of the cam you need some headwork. Stock heads on a huge cam will only choke the motor. Its like trying to shotgun a beer through a straw.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:28 PM

As i founf out with my current project.. Be prepared to spend alot of $$$$ for ported or aftermarket heads!!
Old 12-07-2003, 10:29 PM

i'm in the same boat. I was originally planning on doing a cam/head swap and upgrading the valvetrain this march, but i recently ran into some money issues (winter beater blew up). So i will be limited to doing just the cc306 and all the valvetrain stuff, and then later this summer getting the heads taken care of.

i wish money grew on trees

trav
Old 12-07-2003, 11:45 PM

out of pure curiosity how much will aftermarket heads cost?

and a cam too... im a complete newbie to the whole engine work
Old 12-07-2003, 11:51 PM

heh sorry if u feel that this is a bogus question ^^^

but i believe in the whole theory
give a man a fish feed him for a night
teach him to fish feed him for a lifetime...

id rather pick out my own heads and cam because i would beable to make a good decision but i absolutly know nothing about them... id like to get the biggest bang for the buck, while being in the 400+ rwhp range...

if anyone can get me a link that will let me read all i need to know about heads and cam id extremely apreciate it.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:54 PM

Depends on what kind of heads (stage II, III) and brand. They differ a lot in prices. That goes for the cam also. Go do some research and find out what you wanna go with first.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:20 AM

If you do a search you will find more info that you can read. Personally I am doing a cc306 and lloyd elliots heads and intake porting this winter. I will be right around 1,900 for all cam/valvetrain parts/injectors/lt4 valve covers/gaskets, and the porting.

Brandon
Old 12-08-2003, 12:30 AM

ok i found a lt1 graph...

to me this engine isnt right... id rather have the power a little lower... why does it have such a power wall(if i may call it that)?
Old 12-08-2003, 01:13 AM

The big jump in power is either where they gave the car wot or nitrous you make your own determination. I don't want to dampen the parade but just stock ported heads and a cam is not magically going to give 400rwhp in a LT1. It takes careful planning and a good engine combination and tune from the TB to the Headers. Good Luck with your Project.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by NewbieWar
... why does it have such a power wall(if i may call it that)?
You mean at 3.5k rpms? Ignore everything below that 'wall', that is not the cam coming into its sweet spot, nor is it nitrous, thats just when the driver went WOT. They started recording on the dyno a little earlier then they needed too.

Try doing some searches in advanced tech and read read read.

If you want 400rwhp, why not just get a package off of phil? You know he can do it, you can see the combinations that have done it right there on his page.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by cef97ws6
I don't want to dampen the parade but just stock ported heads and a cam is not magically going to give 400rwhp in a LT1.

I agree that most people with heads and cam aren't putting down 400rwhp. Phil's heads are doing it though.
http://www.advancedinduction.com It's pretty obvious to me that he does some nice work compared to some of the other stuff available.

Do you mind me asking what your TEA 502 combination put down? I understand TEA does some very good things too.

-brent
Old 12-08-2003, 02:50 AM

Re: heads

Originally posted by NewbieWar
it seems many users on here are satisfied w/ the stock heads on the lt1...

i was just wondering how many people on here have aftermarket cams but decided to just port or leave the stock heads in there.

and any coments would be cool

Its all about how much money you have to spend. I am still running stock ported heads, they are supporting 557 FWHP. Don'y have the flow #s in front of me but they flow about 294. At a latter date I will buy me some AFRs and max port them. Am sure that would be worth at least 25 more HP. The question is, is it worth the extra money for the cost of AFRs for just 25 HP.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:27 AM

94 formulabz My best dyno pull was 367rwhp on motor. I definately like TEA's work. My heads were budget oriented in that I used my stock valves, still running stock rockers as well. Flow numbers in the high 25x range intake. I do think the engine would get close to 400rw with a bigger cam a 58mm throttle body and some intake work but it would be close. I would certainly like to see someone in the Dallas area who has Phil's heads on their car because I hear he is getting great hp numbers. But to be honest I don't really put a lot of trust in just dyno numbers alone. I also like to see some track times to verify performance. More and more I see big variences with dyno numbers on similiarly modded cars which tells me dyno numbers can be inflated. My car full weight 3600+ with driver runs 7.9's at 90 in the 1/8th on a good air night. Don't get me wrong I am certainly not trying to flame anyone or say 400rw cannot be achieved it just isn't as simple as some people think it is.

Quick Reply: heads