LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

header/spark plug questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:43 PM

header/spark plug questions

so i am putting pacesetter LT headers (emissions) on my 97 Z, and i have already stripped out all of the old junk. i put in my drivers side header on today, and lo and behold, bolt #2 doest go in, just as i had read. i couldnt get it in even without the headers on the car, so i trimmed a few threads off of the bolt so it could slide in...is this going to cause me a lot of problems or am i ok?

also, i went to put in my new spark plugs after the header was in and i cant get a plug socket on the plug behind the third primary (plug #6?...i dont know the # off hand). how in hell do u tighten this plug? while im on the subject of spark plugs, how do u get the the old wires on the passenger side out from behind the pulley that they are routed behind, and do you re-route the new ones back thru there or is there a better method (i have the taylors ovc from thunder racing)

well thanks to all who help me out and thanks for listening to my rambling, hopefully i wont have too many more questions when it comes time for the passenger side, it looks like a PITA...

Last edited by thepavementpounder; 04-24-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Re: header/spark plug questions

anyone??
Old 04-24-2006, 03:47 PM

If you stripped out the hole and the bolt is not securing properly, you may have an exhaust leak develop, but then again you may not. I found the easiest way to do plug changes on these cars is to use a stubby wrench in conjunction with the spark plug socket. The Taylor OTVC wires would be a good idea to use with your long tubes. However, be advised that you will have to cut and crimp your own wires and you will need the special valve cover centerbolt-style wire looms. You can also get those through Thunder Racing.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:27 PM

When I did my header install and got the old stuff off, before the installation of the new stuff I checked all the bolt holes that the header bolts will go in. I took a header bolt and screwed them in by hand on all the bolt holes. If they thread in nice then I know the threads in the head are ok, if some of them were tight to screw in by hand I chased the bolt hole with a tap. This will clean up the threads in the bolt holes and will make installing the header bolts easier since they will thread in nice and there's no doubt that the fastener is threading in nice and not stripping.

If you haven't done that already I would check them now before you get the header in and you risk the chance of wrecking the ex. bolt holes, a little time spent here will save you a lot of aggravation and headaches later.

AFA the plug, if one of the tubes is directly behind the plug and you can't get a plug socket in there use a 5/8" box end wrench directly on the plug hex section, just make sure you have the wrench squarely on the plug hex part before putting the torque on the plug to loosen it off or tightening it. Chances are you will have to do this from below. This is how I tighten or loosen plug #8 on my SLP d/c header equipped ride after I move the starter out of the way.

BTW, third primary on the driver's side would be cyl #5.

Tony