LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Header Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM

Header Questions

I am looking at getting a pair of used Hooker LT's but I've got a few questions first. Right now the car only has a Moroso CAI but I plan on doing heads and a cam later (when I'm out of school). It also has either a magna flow or a flow master muffler (i can't remember which one the guy said). Aircare (BC's version of emissions) is over at the end of 2014 so I won't need cats. The car has about 100k miles on the body and 6k miles on the engine so the exhaust manifolds are definitely a bottle neck. What I would really like to know is if the setup would sound good, not too loud, but good. If it would sound sh*tty what are some suggestions for an exhaust? OR would it be better to hang them up until I do headwork?
Thanks for the input
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 PM

Re: Header Questions

Exhaust system is one of the most easiest performance ad on plus for great sound. I personally like magna flows better then flowmaster. They sound a lot better. A decent setup in my opinion would be hooker headers running into a 3" exhaust with a magnaflow. (No cat) I think it would be OK to go ahead and do the exhaust system and yes that setup would sound good.(deep pitch)

I would go ahead with the exhaust because that would be one spending cut already out the way when you go to do your top end and you can really get into some money there. Also you want your exhaust to be at its best so you can get the most out of your build when you go to redo the cam, heads.....etc

94 Z28 LT1 4L60E- Mostly Stock 3" Cat back Blowmasters. Chrome rims +5 HP
Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Because I'm removing the cats I'll need a tune correct? If I am correct a PCM tune would be ideal (can't afford dyno time right now and don't see the point at the moment) but that will take my car off the road for two or more weeks. Is there a chip that I could use or is It a problem waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Administrator

What year is your car? 93-95 are OBD-1 and do not have a way for the PCM to determine if the cat is present. 96-97 are OBD-2, and have after-cat sensors that will tell the PCM if the cats are missing or not working. You either need to have the rear sensors "tuned out" or replace them with "O2 sims".

Whether you need a chip to tune (93) or not (94-97) depends on the year as well. You can get a mail-order tune via the internet (they send you a file and the software to download it), or you pay a core charge, they send you a programmed PCM and you return your old PCM to them for the core charge refund. While you don't need a tune for many basic mods, you can pick up 10-15HP with a tune on a stock setup.

You need to add a "Signature" with basic info about your car - year, model, trans and any major mods. As you can see, the year can affect the answer to your questions.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:48 PM

Signature's updated. Im pretty sure that its a flow aster muffler but i don't have the receipt.