LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

header install without a lift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 10:33 AM

header install without a lift?

I have a set of Jet-Hots on the way, I originally had ordered them black, but changed my mind and they are now comming blue just so that they will be different. Whatever, anyway, I need an idea as to how to get the car up high enough to do the header install without a lift, being that I dont have one. I have seen some others do it with bricks and so forth, I was thinking about jack stands on all corners or something along those lines. If you have any ideas or any good photo's of how you did this, let me know.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:57 AM

I drove mine up on ramps, then put blocks under a jack and raised the car up enough to get jacktands on top of the ramps. Worked out well but be careful.

Brad

Also you will probably need to jack the engine up some to get the passenger side in so if you only have one jack this is the way to go.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by BradZ28
I drove mine up on ramps, then put blocks under a jack and raised the car up enough to get jacktands on top of the ramps. Worked out well but be careful.

Brad

Also you will probably need to jack the engine up some to get the passenger side in so if you only have one jack this is the way to go.
That sounds scary. I would use blocks of wood between the jack and the car to get it really high in the air, and then use blocks of wood under the jackstands.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:19 AM

You might want to use 4 jack stands too. It will keep the car at a better angle, and would be less likely to fall. I would put some taller stands up front and shorter in the back. Also, it makes it easier to work under the car when there are four stands under it.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:29 AM

I used 4 regular AC Delco jackstands and set them as high as they can go which was around 2 ft or so. It was just enough room to get the header up from the bottom. It didnt take too long to do. The driver's side went right up in about 20 seconds and after jacking up the pass. side of the motor the pass. header slid right into place. Once you so it you'll see that the whole install is incredibly time consuming but not difficult.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:33 AM

I have been able to get the car high enough to pull the engine through the bottom with 2 floor jacks, 2 ramps, 3 concrete blocks and 2 jackstands.

First, I placed the rear wheels on ramps, then I jacked up the front as high as my floor jacks allowed me to. Then I placed the jackstands under the car, then I placed the jack on the 3rd block and continued to jack a little bit on each side until I had enough room to put the jackstands on the other 2 blocks.

Picture here.
Old 09-10-2003, 12:33 PM

do I need to disconnect anything from the motor in order to jack it up, or should I just slide a jack under the oil pan and give it a few cranks?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:39 PM

You guys are insane with jacking up your car!

Either way I'll be doing this install too...and I'm curious for the answer to your last question...
Old 09-10-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by madwolf

Picture here.
Wow, that's just amazing.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:59 PM

Yea... especially doing it in a storage unit with no electricity.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:06 PM

This is how I did mine over a year ago, go ahead and flame away I know it was dangerous.

http://www.auburnextremeracing.com/e..._working01.jpg
Old 09-10-2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Transamdriver
This is how I did mine over a year ago, go ahead and flame away I know it was dangerous.

http://www.auburnextremeracing.com/e..._working01.jpg
Nice!
Old 09-10-2003, 06:26 PM

Never Jack the car up using the oil pan!!!!
there is a crossmember under there that the floor jack should go under.
Not all of us have access to a lift so we do what we have to do, Just be careful.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:01 PM

all you guys are crazy. id never get under a car that looked like that
Old 09-10-2003, 07:16 PM

I had rhino ramps on the back with wood stacked under the back tires, and 4 jackstands on the k-member with 1 2x12 under each one, the car was 2ft under each measuring from the bottom of the car under the door, was more than enough. We did have to jack up the motor to get the pass side in though, having the car 100ft up in the air wouldnt have solved that. Also if you have a hooker y-pipe, be prepared to drive to an exhaust shop with open headers to get it bent to fit.

Quick Reply: header install without a lift?