LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

header bolts backing out

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:13 AM

header bolts backing out

Does this continue FOREVER or after a few times of tightening them back up it will stop backing out? Should I look into locking header bolts or maybe take the bolts that are backing out and loctite them?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:31 AM

What bolts are you using now? SB 1" long. Not unusual for bolt to loosen at first few heat cycles. One should check them every once in awhile anyway----important to have the correct tools available to make job easier.

I guess there are some locking systems that work well, but I wouldn't opt for any that require you installl little bitsy locks lest you risk losing them in the
F Body black hole.

I use ARP stainless, with 12 pt heads that give me a tad more room between the primaries and the bolt head. Had to tighten one that was backed out, but seem to be ok now---1" length good idea, since it gives you a margin of safety when the bolt does back out, i.e, at least it won't wind up on the highway. JMHO
Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 AM

yeah it seems 3 backed out on the passenger side header, both on the first primary and then 1 on the second/third primary... I was only able to reach the second and third bolt... first one was hiding under the alternator... I guess I'll need to take it off and then tighten it down.

Would it be OK to run with 1 bolt already somewhat backed out but the rest tightened down?... I'm going on a trip tomorrow morning and won't have time to take the alternator off today so I can reach the first bolt
Old 05-04-2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mortify
yeah it seems 3 backed out on the passenger side header, both on the first primary and then 1 on the second/third primary... I was only able to reach the second and third bolt... first one was hiding under the alternator... I guess I'll need to take it off and then tighten it down.

Would it be OK to run with 1 bolt already somewhat backed out but the rest tightened down?... I'm going on a trip tomorrow morning and won't have time to take the alternator off today so I can reach the first bolt
I would keep them all tight and avoid the possibility of an exhaust leak. I have heard of people having to tighten the bolts several times before they finally stopped backing out. Maybe it would be a good time to invest in some locking header bolts as well.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Stage 8 locking header bolts can be a best friend. I installed them and never have to worry again
Old 05-04-2007, 12:36 PM

ALso another thing that I forgot is there was a rubber tube running from a hex box in the front driver side of the engine bay, to a T fitting connecting to the old stock manifold, then running to what looked like the EGR valve in the back of the intake, I still have that tube attached to that box, what does it do?
Old 05-04-2007, 12:41 PM

i guess i just got lucky... the ones i used were the ones i got from pacesetter... i checked them a couple of times and they never backed out
Old 05-04-2007, 01:39 PM

3 week and 3 times i tightened them. The first time all needed a little to a lot. The next time only 6 needed a tiny bit and last time just 3 and they were real close. I figure next time it should be almost done. I would be careful not to let them go to long because the sealent can blow out and its time to remove and redo. It a good time to check plug wire to be sure none are touching or very close.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by njenson
i guess i just got lucky... the ones i used were the ones i got from pacesetter... i checked them a couple of times and they never backed out
me too
Old 05-04-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Roach02
Stage 8 locking header bolts can be a best friend. I installed them and never have to worry again
I'd rather be good than lucky. (Not really true) But if you're good, you'll buy some sort of locking bolts and never have to deal with them. Guess I was never lucky as always had problems and used to tighten them about once a month. Usually one or two was loose.

Stage 8 or other locking will usually always solve the problem.