LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Head/Cam people... Butt Dyno Question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:39 AM

Head/Cam people... Butt Dyno Question...

I am curious to know how my car should be performing.... The shop in town just recently shut down their dyno and unfortunantly I am unable to dyno the car now. So I was curious how I could tell by street driving it what I should expect for HP/TQ numbers.

I have a 355 GM847/LE2 setup with all possible boltons/mods. The only thing that may be causing me to lose some power would be that my longtube hooker headers go to a 3" hooker header Y pipe and then to a dynomax muffler with dual outlets.

I have stock gears on the stock 10 bolt.

I can burn the tires all the way through first gear up to 7k, when I shift into 2nd gear I can burn them about half way through second and thats about it. I have regular street tires and they dont have much traction. Should I be able to spin my tires all the way through second gear too?

I havent really had a chance to race anything, plus i am trying to work out all the little quirks before I possibly embarass myself.

Any info on your guys experiences with your cars would be appreciated. All my mods are under specifications on my website thats in my sig.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:42 AM

Re: Head/Cam people... Butt Dyno Question...

My suggestion is a 12 bolt w/ 4.10s and some sticky tires. If you're spinning half through 2nd & shifting at 7k, that's what 60mph before you get any traction? You're taking almost the opposite route I did (4.11s w/ 315s out back, no internal engine mods)- I can spin the tires if I want to, but traction is available as well as long as I roll on the throttle in first. I would definitely suggest a DOT legal competition tire- Mickey Thompson ET streets would be your best bet, or you can get Kumho competition tires from the tire rack if you want a tire more designed for auto-x. Don't bother trying to modify the 10 bolt. Some suspension work would help you out as well. I've had a couple chats w/ Lloyd on some future work for my engine and he'll tell you you're not going to get what you were expecting without gears and more traction.

BTW telling how much power you have by tire spinnage is impossible. There's just too many factors involved.

As far as the exhaust goes, you could just put some cutouts in the Y a few inches after the headers. You could try a true dual setup if you want, but I found the longtubes to be bad enough for ground clearance as it is, didn't want to deal with scraping all the time. Mufflex has 4" exhaust systems that might give you a little more hp, price didn't seem to bad considering what you get. I think either thunder or tbyrne has them. Anyway, get that thing to a track and see what kind of mph numbers you can throw up- that'll tell you more than anything else if your combo is working or not.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 PM

Re: Head/Cam people... Butt Dyno Question...

Yah, MT's are next on the list along with some thrust rims for the rear. I hope to get her to the track just to see what she does for mph, but she still has little quirks that need to be worked out first.