LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

having trouble after H/C swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 PM

ok so I've been going over everything..again, and noticed another questionable thing on top of those^^ grounds. I noticed a pic of the EVAP system on shbox's site doesn't match mine>
Name:  100_0829.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  52.7 KB
he has the same type of tube coming out the bottom nipple as he does the top one while I have a rubber hose going into it from the EVAP solenoid, which I had asked about earlier on and got this answer>
QUOTE=SS RRR;12093851]That is the purge solenoid for your evap system. The tube on the left goes into a line which comes out of your drivers fender. The plastic tube goes under your TB and the solenoid goes to a mount on your passenger side bolted to the intake. There is then a plug that is located on part of the harness cluster on the passenger side. The rubber hose on the solenoid does not plug into anything.[/QUOTE
I just assumed SSR was mistaken saying that the rubber hose does not plug into anything, does it or don't it plug into the intake mani? cause here>
http://shbox.com/1/evap_sol.jpg
it says the bottom nipple plugs into the plastic line bundled w/ the fuel lines..but that goes to the evap solenoid.. I wouldn't suspect this is actually the root of my problems, but I'm running out of ideas.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by zzoomin
ok so I've been going over everything..again, and noticed another questionable thing on top of those^^ grounds. I noticed a pic of the EVAP system on shbox's site doesn't match mine>

he has the same type of tube coming out the bottom nipple as he does the top one while I have a rubber hose going into it from the EVAP solenoid, which I had asked about earlier on and got this answer>
QUOTE=SS RRR;12093851]That is the purge solenoid for your evap system. The tube on the left goes into a line which comes out of your drivers fender. The plastic tube goes under your TB and the solenoid goes to a mount on your passenger side bolted to the intake. There is then a plug that is located on part of the harness cluster on the passenger side. The rubber hose on the solenoid does not plug into anything.[/QUOTE
I just assumed SSR was mistaken saying that the rubber hose does not plug into anything, does it or don't it plug into the intake mani? cause here>
http://shbox.com/1/evap_sol.jpg
it says the bottom nipple plugs into the plastic line bundled w/ the fuel lines..but that goes to the evap solenoid.. I wouldn't suspect this is actually the root of my problems, but I'm running out of ideas.
It does not match yours because mine is a 1995.

http://shbox.com/1/1996_evap.jpg
Old 08-22-2009, 04:51 PM

ok so thats right.. well I got it running again but it doesn't want to rev over 1k if that gives anyone some ideas? hopping I don't have to tear into the internals to check my work which I don't see what I could of screwed up.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:17 AM

heres I vid I just took, hopefully it helps!

I had to keep tapping the gas to keep it running and its also running pig rich!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:10 AM

Can you create a sig that has all your modifications in it? Why is the check engine light on? Is it a M6 or A4?
Old 08-23-2009, 04:29 PM

there ya go I'm not sure why the SES light is on, I've been waiting for my friend to come scan it for days now..
Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM

heres another vid I made for some one, this time it was stalling even while hitting the gas and I could only get it to rev to 1k for a few seconds on the 2nd start up while having my foot to the floor>
Old 08-23-2009, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by zzoomin
well it fired right up but was running rough again and started stumbling so I went to give it some gas on the TB and when my hand got close to the rubber intake boot I started getting shocked. is this a ground problem? the only ones I took off were the two on the coil and they both go back onto the right mount bolt for the coil right?
if you were getting shocked, one of your plug wires is probably bad or not on all the way. check them out and make sure you have them in the right order too, then get a tune. i watched the two videos you have and it don't seem too bad to me. Unless you are giving it a lot of throttle and its not revving, then its a problem
Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by slowZ
if you were getting shocked, one of your plug wires is probably bad or not on all the way. check them out and make sure you have them in the right order too, then get a tune. i watched the two videos you have and it don't seem too bad to me. Unless you are giving it a lot of throttle and its not revving, then its a problem
thanks for the response! I was giving it quite a bit of throttle just to keep it running like that and like I said I could only get it to rev to 1k with my foot to the floor on start up. I did find a plug that was slightly loose, but heres the funny part, it started and ran better before I fixed the wire. I've tripled check the order too.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:55 AM

alright so get this! I replaced the O2's w/ some old ones that were in the stock manifolds and unplugged the MAF and it fired right up! it was running how I imagine an un-tuned cammed car would run, choppy and slightly rough but when I hit the gas it didn't hesitate a bit and would rev right up and smooth out altho I only had the ***** to rev it to 2k rpms. figuring I solved the problem I shut it down(it was still wanting to stall some on idle) to go close the cut out so I could hear the rockers better to check the lash adjustment. but when I fired it back up it didn't start so easy and I had to give it some gas to start, then it wouldn't rev up like before, no matter how much gas I gave it it wouldn't rev over 500rpms. I plugged the MAF back in and tried again but got the same thing and thats when I shot this vid>
hopefully some one will have some ideas.. or hopefully scanning the codes will solve this problem, but I'm still waiting on my friend for that.
edit: also it doesn't smell as strongly of raw gas anymore, it still smells rich but has more of a sulfer smell to it. I pulled an o2 and a spark plug to see if either were getting fouled but they looked fine.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:08 AM

I would try and figure out what the engine light is for. Have you checked all your wiring to make sure that none of it is burnt on the headers or pinched somewhere? Did you have to run any extensions on your O2 sensors or was the stock wiring long enough? Your engine light might give you some more insight on where to look next. Maybe it's throwing opti codes.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
I would try and figure out what the engine light is for. Have you checked all your wiring to make sure that none of it is burnt on the headers or pinched somewhere? Did you have to run any extensions on your O2 sensors or was the stock wiring long enough? Your engine light might give you some more insight on where to look next. Maybe it's throwing opti codes.
it might be throwing opti codes but I doubt it -well hope not. it didnt get wet at all, got installed right(90% sure anyways) and was running pretty smooth around 2000rpms. I'll have to wait and see what the codes are, in the meantime I unplugged the o2's and its firing right up again but not revving up past the first couple of seconds w/ it running, did the same w/ the MAF but no change. and thanks for the reply, I realize most people have givin up by now.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:34 PM

this should help some one! -hopefully. it fires right up and will rev up w/ the cut out open but struggles to fire up and won't rev up w/ the cut out closed. that should help some one I'd think, it confuses me tho!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:46 PM

I find it hard to believe that you think it will run half way decent without at least a mail order tune to get you close. It's hard enough getting all your ducks in a row with a new set-up let alone trying to do it your way. Good luck though.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM

well I know its not going to run the best but I think it should run better than how its running right now. I know theres something going on here(other than the tune) and I'm just trying to figure it out so once I do have the $$$ for the tune I can go drive it INSTEAD of then trying to figure out whats wrong, make sense? I already figured out at least one o2 was bad since swapping them out seemed to help allot.

some people have suggested an exhaust blockage which then made me wonder if I lost a paper towel in the intake so I dropped the y-pipe and it still wants to stall and not rev up. if theres a paper towel in there any chance of it getting stuck in the head? I know all cylinders are firing..

Quick Reply: having trouble after H/C swap