LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Had to do it :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 05:31 AM
Banned

Had to do it :(

I ended up having to bring the Camaro to the stealership the other day because they were the only shop within the area that had a convenient time to work on the car.

Anyway, I posted a while back about a "flutter" at low RPMs. A few days ago, I posted about an erratic idle and the car just stalling.

Turns out the stall was caused by rodents getting under the car and chewing through the wires! The SOBs chewed through my O2 wires! I had this problem with rabbits at our old apartment. The little f*ckers cost me about $1500 in total in electrical problems. Pisses me off, because we live near the city. However, construction crews have just broken ground across the street to put in more homes. The mice/rats/rabbits/bastards are probably on the run. Time to get the CO2 cartridge of my paintball gun filled.

Anyway, the erratic idling problem is fixed.....I guess. But I STILL have that damned "flutter!" It sounds like wind blowing over an open sunroof at high speeds. Could this be because of the 1LE intake and that there is no air silencer? Maybe the car really isn't screwing up, and I'm just hearing a lot of noise in the car from the air scavenging?
Old 08-29-2003, 07:42 AM

About your flutter, if I understand what you are saying about the noise sounding like air flowing over an open sunroof, I have a suggestion. I just got wheels and tires off another car and had to open up the inside hole to fit over the rear hub and I have that similar noise. I know the tire is now out of balance and I have this similar noise when cruising along. I didn't have the noise prior to the new wheels. You may want to have the balancing checked on your wheels. Just my .02
Old 08-29-2003, 11:23 AM

Man, that sucks! Like little gremlins! Why the hell do they want to chew on wires instead of plants???

Take a deep breath, line up the sights, exhale and squeeze the trigger
Old 08-29-2003, 11:39 AM

run you an extension cord out to your car with some power on it and see if they will chew into that. i bet that will break them from chewing on wires...lol
Old 08-29-2003, 11:55 AM

What you need to do is put something else out for them to be attracted to. You now, the kind of stuff they eat. Then, when they get thirsty they die. It's called poison bait. Or, if you want to spare their lives, trap them, let them go far, far away.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:18 PM

Exclamation

Use these.

Then you can throw them in the fireplace and watch them suffer as you did, and enjoy their dying squeaks of pain
Old 08-29-2003, 06:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Skull Leader
Use these.

Then you can throw them in the fireplace and watch them suffer as you did, and enjoy their dying squeaks of pain
That's really horrible, Skull Leader. Unfortunately, I couldn't bring myself to do that to the little bastards, no matter how destructive they are. I think I'll just catch them, and let them go in the toilet.

Ok, seriously.....I'd just let them go faaaaaaar from home. Like in your backyard.

RENE posts:
"About your flutter, if I understand what you are saying about the noise sounding like air flowing over an open sunroof, I have a suggestion. I just got wheels and tires off another car and had to open up the inside hole to fit over the rear hub and I have that similar noise. I know the tire is now out of balance and I have this similar noise when cruising along. I didn't have the noise prior to the new wheels. You may want to have the balancing checked on your wheels. Just my .02

Thanks for the tip, RENE. I know what you're talking about, but that's not the flutter I'm referring to. It's something I can feel under foot, and only seems to be "active" when very lightly on the throttle- like between 1100 and 2000rpms.