LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 06:05 AM

Grinding noise

I posted this in the suspension chasis and braikes forum and didnt get much traffic so thought I would see about over here. My 95 z28 is makiing this godawful noise. It is coming from the rear of the car. when I am slowing the car down it is fine until maybe 15 mph then this grinding noise starts from the rear of the car on the passenger side. You can see where the rotor has been scraped on the passenger side rear. I am not to familair with brakes so what is causing this and why is it only on the one side and why is it fine until the car is at low speeds. How hard are the brakes on these cars to work on? One more question, arent the rear brakes only used when you press the brakes hard, if so why does my car do this no matter how hard I press the brakes? Also it is a definte grinding noise, no screeching or abnormal vibaration.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:19 AM

You should jack the rear of the car up, pull the wheels and examine the brakes to see what's going on.

If you're unfamiliar with brakes, do not uninstall both sides, just do one at a time leaving the other as an example of how it reassembles. A chilton's manual is worth it's weight in gold sometimes, round one up (Autozone, Advace, Pep Boys, etc ~$15). Another thing to keep in mind - brakes are very, very simple. Once you get in there, you'll see.

I had an unusual pad wear problem which turned out to be the caliper wasn't floating anymore. It was stuck in one position wearing the outside pad to just about nothing leaving the inside one hardly used. After removing it, cleaning everything up and a little bit of lube, the caliper floated freely again. Some new pads and bam! Huge stopping improvement!

The rears work all the time, same as the fronts, but due to physics they naturally handle less of the brunt.