LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

got my mod list and the $$$, but one last thing, N2O or the Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 08:37 PM

got my mod list and the $$$, but one last thing, N2O or the Charger?

I am planning on cam, LT's, convertor, rockers, and i wanna top it off with a N2O kit or a charger, how are they different in relation to stress on the engine? the car has 124K on it.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:44 PM

Re: got my mod list and the $$$, but one last thing, N2O or the Charger?

from what i hear stock lt1's with supercharger can be a ticking time bomb. i would skip on both and do a rebuild or something and do the supercharger later

Mitch
Old 06-18-2005, 09:04 PM

yea i heard taht too, too high compression already or something, but what about N2O? is it just as destructive or can the LT1 handle it?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:56 PM

no one has any knowledge of the affects of N20 VS the charger?
Old 06-19-2005, 02:50 AM

Nitrous is usually a little easier on an engine since it cools and the solenoids add additional fuel. Also, the power isn't there constantly so you're less likely to get in trouble. I'd slap a 100 shot on it and have some fun. As far as destructive capabilities, it's all in the preparation. Get a good fuel pump, a window switch, good ignition and have the car tuned professionally.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:58 AM

also with have that many miles you may at least want to clean your injectors. or maybe get 28-30lbs. the last thing you wanna do is hit the button, and there be no fuel. i would also go Nitrous, cheaper, and doesnt put nearly as much stress on the bottom end. if you are going to do a 100 shot it would be best to run ngk tr6 plugs they are 1 degree colder which is better for induction or nitrous. also with it youll want to retard your timing 2 degrees. thats for the optimal run. or you could just hook it up and see what happens! lemme know if you have more ?'s

GOOD LUCK keep us posted
Old 06-19-2005, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by new_z
i would also go Nitrous, cheaper, and doesnt put nearly as much stress on the bottom end.
Is it cheaper? Initial investment wise, I would agree, but after you have filled bottles for a while that cost savings goes up for the supercharger. Also, depending on where your at in the country, some places its hard to get bottles filled, and that is something to seriously consider.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
Is it cheaper? Initial investment wise, I would agree, but after you have filled bottles for a while that cost savings goes up for the supercharger. Also, depending on where your at in the country, some places its hard to get bottles filled, and that is something to seriously consider.
You can fill quite a few bottles for the cost difference between a new nitrous kit and a new supercharger kit.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
You can fill quite a few bottles for the cost difference between a new nitrous kit and a new supercharger kit.

I'll say.

A Vortec kit will run about $2500 with no intercooler and then ya got to have a FMU or injectors and pump (pump for either)Plumbing for blower(there is always something not right in the kit).Then you got the install fee and a dyno tune. Me-- I would rather have a forced induction (blower,turbo,871) because in the upper HP range NO2 gets real tough on parts (150+ and it only takes one little something to go wrong=BOOM) But the same with a not spot on blower set up and tune.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 97WS6SCharged
Not to mention the mpg difference of a car with a blower vs nitrous. I'd rather fill a nitrous tank then my gas tank.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:07 AM

I would go N2o before a charger. Cheaper too. Then you could put the money for the charger for something else.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:47 AM

I liked the nitrous when it was full, but hated it when it was empty. It sucks to only be fast sometimes. Nitrous is only good for short bursts also, you're not supposed to spray for more than 15 seconds. Nitrous is strictly for drag racing, and normally you can't get traction with it on the street because of the sudden hit. A supercharger is way more usable on the street and the power is always there. Nitrous was a pain in the ***, everytime you want to go fast you have to open the bottle, purge, activate the system, go fast, turn off the system, turn the bottle off, and then purge. Not to mention you can't just go to any 7-11 and get nitrous, you have to drive to a special location and pay a minimum of 35.00 to get the bottle filled. With boost, you can get the fuel filled anywhere, and when you want to go fast all you have to do is push the gas pedal.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:13 PM

I don't have a camaro or an LT1. I was just browsing because I am looking at getting one. I do however use nitrous and have lots of expierience with it.

S/C's like lower compression, due to forcing more air into it, it will up your compression. n2o on the other hand loves high compression. So if the compression of an LT1 is higher you may be better off with nitrous unless you rebuild the motor and go with stronger internals and or lower compression.

If you read good sources on nitrous there are no real mods needed. A bigger fuel pump is not always such a good idea. Without injectors that can support it, it could be harmful. It will cause your injectors to drip instead of spray like they should. If you are forcing more fuel into it without burning it fast enough it will just waste gas and horsepower. As long as you are using a wet kit so it sprays fuel and nitrous at the same time you should be just fine.

What I would recommend is the ngk tr6 plugs like stated above. Make sure they are copper. You DO NOT want to use platinum plugs with nitrous. They get way to hot and can cause a glowplug effect detonating the nitrous. Check your fuel pressure to make sure its where it should be. Maybe clean the injectors. Install your kit, check and check it again. Start with a 35HP shot and work your way to the 100HP shot. Its not recommended at all to start right with the 100 shot.

I dont know if you have traction control or not, but while spraying you do not want to use traction control. Just a little FYI. Also I use NX and love it very much. N.O.S. is a lot harsher of a shot and was not recommended on 4bangers, but I know some v8 buddies that use it and they love it. Also have some who use the NX kit and also love it. I would highly recommend one of those 2 kits. Just make sure its a wet kit. I'll be using my NX wet kit when I get an LT1 Camaro.

Good luck if you decide to go nitrous feel free to ask any questions you want.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:51 PM

i was actually looking at the dry kit for the easier install. if i go wet i dont need new injectors right? just another line to plumb the extra fuel supply? if i go wet i can leave teh stock system in place clean the injectors and then plug up the wet kit?
Old 06-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Lightbulb Re: got my mod list and the $$$, but one last thing, N2O or the Charger?

If i were you i'd get the LE1 heads/cam combo, it will put you right under 400 rwhp with your other mods and LE products are really dependable, its a very good h/c package for the price. Thats my 2 cent.

Quick Reply: got my mod list and the $$$, but one last thing, N2O or the Charger?