LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Going for 12s w/bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:30 AM

Going for 12s w/bolt ons

Im planning a cam swap this season but i figure i only get once chance to prove the LT1s potential, so i might as well take it.

My personal best was this past season and is in the sig. I did it full weight on street tires with the stock tune and stock 3.42 gears. Ive yet to cut a 60 foot better than 2.1 (althought i cut 2.1s VERY consistently). My only 2 major mods are pacesetter LTs with ***ty ORY and cutout.

To pull it off, ill for sure have the following over last years setup:

-LCAs
-Nitto Drag Radials
-Tuning Equipment: wideband and laptop
-New [better] y-pipe, or run open headers.

Also might get:
-Airfoil

Dont want to do/get:
-weight reduction
-gears

Little stuff i already have/had:
-160 thermo and fan switch
-LT4 KM
-Pro 5.0 shifter, pistol grip, and some skill at the wheel
-alu driveshaft

any other ideas???

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 12-30-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM

Do the gears. What is the best ratio the M6 came with 3.42? The T56 with the .50 OD is perfectly pleasant to drive even on the highway with 4.10s. Will allow you to use 6th more and should not impact fuel economy.

Might consider doing the springs and roller rockers before the cam, this will definetely help you out. Stock springs that are that old are going to allow some valve float, GM ran minimal pressure for fuel economy gains so especially once springs get some use you can gain from just swapping them out, but if you go through that effort no sense in putting the stock rockers back on, rollers are so much easier to adjust anyway.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:39 AM

+1 for gears
Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Do the gears. What is the best ratio the M6 came with 3.42? The T56 with the .50 OD is perfectly pleasant to drive even on the highway with 4.10s. Will allow you to use 6th more and should not impact fuel economy.

Might consider doing the springs and roller rockers before the cam, this will definetely help you out. Stock springs that are that old are going to allow some valve float, GM ran minimal pressure for fuel economy gains so especially once springs get some use you can gain from just swapping them out, but if you go through that effort no sense in putting the stock rockers back on, rollers are so much easier to adjust anyway.
definitely not changing springs and rockers a month before i do the cam, thats too much extra work and defeats the purpose... i want to do a 12 having never taken a valve cover off. I understand there might be some float there, gonna have to deal with it for now. That being said, my car is a healthy and strong runner... i wouldnt be attempting this if it wasnt.

I'll think about the gears because i already have my rear end out of the car at the moment, but Ive always wanted to avoid aftermarket gears because they are more likely to break than original gears. I dont really want to invest in a 10 bolt either.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 12-30-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:36 PM

LT's, stall, tires thats all it takes, Stock suspension 12.9's. Added a gear 12.7's, so you should have no problem with an M6 and some tire. I just noticed your right around the corner from me, I live in Clinton Twp. I got a couple buddies who go to gvsu.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
definitely not changing springs and rockers a month before i do the cam, thats too much extra work and defeats the purpose... i want to do a 12 having never taken a valve cover off. I understand there might be some float there, gonna have to deal with it for now. That being said, my car is a healthy and strong runner... i wouldnt be attempting this if it wasnt.

I'll think about the gears because i already have my rear end out of the car at the moment, but Ive always wanted to avoid aftermarket gears because they are more likely to break than original gears. I dont really want to invest in a 10 bolt either.
There are aftermarket gears that are just as strong as OEM, heck buy AAM gears they are the supplier for GM and find an AAM dealer the price is a fraction of buying through GM. 4.10s have a smaller pinion though which can impact strength but keep it out of wheelhop and it should be OK.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:20 PM

put it this way...my buddys cobra has 4.10s in it, and only revs 2200 on the highway in 6th

use this gear calculator to play around with
http://www.f-body.org/gears/

it says w/ 4.10 gears, in 6th you will be at 1900 RPMs going 70.....yup, definately think i would change if i were you
Old 12-30-2007, 04:39 PM

Go to the track with some good sticky tires the way you are, and I don't see why you couldn't hit high 12's running @ 105mph.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
Im planning a cam swap this season but i figure i only get once chance to prove the LT1s potential, so i might as well take it.

My personal best was this past season and is in the sig. I did it full weight on street tires with the stock tune and stock 3.42 gears. Ive yet to cut a 60 foot better than 2.1 (althought i cut 2.1s VERY consistently). My only 2 major mods are pacesetter LTs with ***ty ORY and cutout.

To pull it off, ill for sure have the following over last years setup:

-LCAs
-Nitto Drag Radials
-Tuning Equipment: wideband and laptop
-New [better] y-pipe, or run open headers.

Also might get:
-Airfoil

Dont want to do/get:
-weight reduction
-gears

Little stuff i already have/had:
-160 thermo and fan switch
-LT4 KM
-Pro 5.0 shifter, pistol grip, and some skill at the wheel
-alu driveshaft

any other ideas???
You already have the trap speed to run 12's. I have already done it without removing the valve covers and I am pretty sure you can too without to much of a problem. A set of 4:10's and a decent 60 along with some quick shifts and you should be able to run 12's without a problem.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 AM

Any full bolt on LT1 that isn't broken makes the power for 12s, just most don't have the 60ft for it. My cars a pig and a turd, but it can 60ft and use the power it has to run what it should.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by neil350
Any full bolt on LT1 that isn't broken makes the power for 12s, just most don't have the 60ft for it. My cars a pig and a turd, but it can 60ft and use the power it has to run what it should.
My 60's arent that great. 1.8
Old 12-31-2007, 04:24 PM

Well i just scored a second ten bolt with 60k on it and a T/A cover for some spare change

Im going to look into getting some 3.90s for it. My rear is already out of the car right now so now that i have 2 rear ends i might as well gear one of them.

Originally Posted by T WS6 A
LT's, stall, tires thats all it takes, Stock suspension 12.9's. Added a gear 12.7's, so you should have no problem with an M6 and some tire. I just noticed your right around the corner from me, I live in Clinton Twp. I got a couple buddies who go to gvsu.
cool, how long have you been in SLP i may have met you before, ive gone to a few of their cruises before.

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
There are aftermarket gears that are just as strong as OEM, heck buy AAM gears they are the supplier for GM and find an AAM dealer the price is a fraction of buying through GM. 4.10s have a smaller pinion though which can impact strength but keep it out of wheelhop and it should be OK.
are motive gears strong enough?

Originally Posted by robb4964
You already have the trap speed to run 12's. I have already done it without removing the valve covers and I am pretty sure you can too without to much of a problem. A set of 4:10's and a decent 60 along with some quick shifts and you should be able to run 12's without a problem.
well the 60 is all im looking at improving as far as driving goes, when i ran the 13.56 i wasnt wasting any time between gears... i was getting rubber in all 4.

Originally Posted by robb4964
My 60's arent that great. 1.8
you and a few others in here are making me think im a lot closer to this goal than i thought i was. I wonder what ill be capable of after the cam
Old 01-01-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm trying for bolt-on 12s too. I'm running 13.2 @101.74 with a 1.77 60 and the only mods I have are PS longtubes, 2.5 true duals/ with bullets dumped, Vig3200, 3.42s, Welds front and back, LCAs, and a Madztune. Its weighs 3680lbs with me in it and still has stock airbox.
I've read about a lot of guys running 12's with my set up, what's holding me back?
Sorry about the hijack. Figured the answer to my questions could help you as well.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:15 AM

12's were tough for a while with minimal mods, I was stuck @ 13.1 for a while... I had stock manifolds, gutted cat, cutout, and stock (2.73) gears. I got the gears and exhaust work done and was in the 12.6 range, then weight reduction, suspension, and tires got me to where I am now...
Old 01-01-2008, 11:21 AM

cool, how long have you been in SLP i may have met you before, ive gone to a few of their cruises before.
Just last summer, I cruised with them a few times. When it starts to get nice out will have to meet up at mt. clemens or wild woodys for there car shows.

Quick Reply: Going for 12s w/bolt ons