LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Getting ready for 383-help me pick a rotating ass.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 04:44 PM

Getting ready for 383-help me pick a rotating assembly.

My motor has seen better days. Chewed a head gasket last night, and odometer reads 143k (altho a bit high cuz of speedo problem) so iam thinking of finally doing the 383.
Here are the kits I had in mind, but since there listed for SBC's i dont know what the compression ratio would be (too high or low) I plan on doing a le2 or 3 setup and need it to run on pump gas.
http://www.adperformance.com/index.p...roducts_id=673

heres the other:
http://www.adperformance.com/index.p...roducts_id=674

Never done a rebuild like this before so any/all help is appreciated

Last edited by coolraptor; 03-27-2006 at 04:51 PM. Reason: name of topic looks funny
Old 03-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Re: Getting ready for 383-help me pick a rotating ***.

The second one has foged pistons, I dont think the first one does. KB are like the stockers. Have you ever built an engine like this before? Ive built many engines, but none to make this kind of power at this kind of rpm. With my $$ involved, I decided to let a pro build it. Check out www.victoryracingengines.com for rotating assebmlies, or a shortblock like Im getting. They are good at what they do. Give them a call. They have the best customer service, period
Old 03-27-2006, 06:56 PM

I agree, I think a SBC would work i think the Lt1` has a 1 pc rear seal. but i did mine in a crunch and RPM did mine and it was at my door step in like 2 weeks for 1750 shiped, it is a KB piston and eagle crank and rods. I figure i dont plane one blowing the car may be a shot of nos later but build for what you plan. Most places on here are just to expensive for a short block. Le packages are awesome, i put 417rwhp with an 847 and le2 heads through a 2800 stall.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Josh'95Z28conv
The second one has foged pistons, I dont think the first one does. KB are like the stockers. Have you ever built an engine like this before? Ive built many engines, but none to make this kind of power at this kind of rpm. With my $$ involved, I decided to let a pro build it. Check out www.victoryracingengines.com for rotating assebmlies, or a shortblock like Im getting. They are good at what they do. Give them a call. They have the best customer service, period
I don't have one of their engines but it is tempting to blow my up to get one . But I second giving them a call I have heard nothing but good things about them and when the time comes they will probably get my buisness.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:23 PM

No ive never built anything like this before. I was planning on buying all the parts and having a guy i work with actually do the assembly.
Reason I asked about the SBC kits is ive been told the lt1 heads change compression and i didnt want it to be overly high or not enough. Car is staying N/A for now, plan on the le3 setup with all boltons etc and thats about it for the time being.
I'd love to just buy a forged shortblock but for what they cost I could buy the parts by themselves and have my friend assemble my entire engine. Not trashing victory engines or anything, its just out of my price range
Old 03-27-2006, 07:51 PM

you can get better pistons on any kit ad performance sells. ive bought from Bryan at AD performance, and will be buying from him again for my LT1 project. he will put together a custom package if you know what you want. when i bought my ford 331 kit i went with some $1K alloy JE pistons that were 4.020. i was accidently sent +.030 rings, called Brian and before i even had boxed the rings up to send back to him i had the new set in my hand. AD performance is a great company to deal with.

yes, for an LT1 you need the 1 pc rear main. if you arent going to run more then 150 shot nitrous or much boost you could get by with the cast crank kits.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:43 AM

Iam kinda leary of cast cranks because of the RPM's the motor will probably be hitting. I would like to boost it in the future, but not untill i pay the motor off (will be getting a loan of sorts if i build the motor) I dont have any experience with nitrous so i doubt i'd get into that. And if i did it wouldnt be more than 100shot, regardless of internals.
Would you suggest me emailing AD and telling them I want a 383 stroker kit for a lt1? What details would I need to give?

Thanks for all the helpfull replies!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:44 AM

i would call and talk to Brian about what you want and what your future plans are. blowers are great, but with the right motor combo you can hit about 440rwhp on pump gas, spray a 100 shot on race gas and make close to 600rwhp. for that you could run the cast crank.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:45 AM

I have a 383 and I did it my self and I have the Eagle setup but I should have changed 1 thing.

If you are going to do this get H-Beam rods, they cost a little more but when it comes to a cam you will still be able to run a standard base circle cam with decent lift.

Forged pistions, do it you won't be sorry!!

If you are interested in some heads I have a set of AFR 180cc heads with 64cc chambers that will keep you around 10.5:1 with flat top pistons.
If you are interested PM me.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:55 PM

Do you mean cast crank as in the stock one or an eagle cast crank? Can cast hold up to the RPMs iam going to be running? (probably le3 setup)
I plan on taking it to the track a few times during the summer as well so it will be driven hard on occasion. I want the motor as bullet-proof as I can with my budget (decent budget but i dont even have full boltons yet, gotta get all that stuff as well.)

383transam-I think iam just going to have my heads ported but if i change my mind ill get back to you and see if you still have your AFR's.

Anything else I need to know about??? Like i said, never done anything like this before. What iam going by now is research basically.
Thanks for all the replies!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:07 PM

On a 383 with stock heads you will have 11:1 + Compression and have to run race gas all the time.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by 383TransAm
If you are going to do this get H-Beam rods, they cost a little more but when it comes to a cam you will still be able to run a standard base circle cam with decent lift.
dont you mean I beams?

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...5700bblw_w.jpg

or H beams?

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...-5700b3d_w.jpg

look at the big end of the rod, you will have a lot more clearence with the I beams.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by coolraptor
Do you mean cast crank as in the stock one or an eagle cast crank? Can cast hold up to the RPMs iam going to be running? (probably le3 setup)
I plan on taking it to the track a few times during the summer as well so it will be driven hard on occasion. I want the motor as bullet-proof as I can with my budget (decent budget but i dont even have full boltons yet, gotta get all that stuff as well.)

383transam-I think iam just going to have my heads ported but if i change my mind ill get back to you and see if you still have your AFR's.

Anything else I need to know about??? Like i said, never done anything like this before. What iam going by now is research basically.
Thanks for all the replies!
the cast crank is fine up to 700hp and as far as your stock pcm can take you rpm wise. i would set a power goal and spend as little as possible to achieve that goal. i mean, do you NEED a 700hp crank (cast) or a 1200hp crank (4340). because spending the extra money if you are never gonna lay down that much power with it, is just a waste IMO.

and dont forget all the little stuff. youd be far better off running a eagle cast crank and a 4bolt main conversion then you would running 2 bolt and a 4340 crank. it just depends on how much power you are going to make. you need to set your goals and be realistic so as to keep from blowing the budget. and FWIW, weve run 12.5:1 compression 396 lt1s on pump gas. with aluminum heads, reverse flow cooling, big injectors and a tune it will be fine. a stock lt1 with a 6lb blower has an effective compression under boost of well over 12.5:1, a lot hotter inlet air charge and cant bleed off any cylinder pressure with the stock cam, and those run on pump gas. on nitrous your 12:1 motor will need race gas, but who cares. that thing will make 440rwhp on motor on pump gas if you play your cards right.

Last edited by 93turbo5oh; 03-29-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:29 PM

Nope I mean H beam.

The bolts in the I beam rods will hit a cam with the bolt heads.
The H Beam rods have the screws sunk down inside of them and will clear a high lift cam with out a lot of extra grinding work.
I learned this the hard way this year when I went to a .575 lift cam.

Call this # 1-901-795-6000
It's Lazer Cam in Kentucky and ask for the Cam Doctor!
This guy nows his stuff and will talk to you for as long as you need.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:59 PM

i dont know whos I beams you were using, they werent the ones i posted pics of though.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for 383-help me pick a rotating ass.