LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

futral cam, stock heads dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 11:12 AM

futral cam, stock heads dyno numbers

figured some of you might be interested in this. futral cam 234/241 .576/.598 112lsa i have mac mids (will soon have lt's) and a STOCK tb ( ) after a little tuning we got it to 349 rwhp. i dont think that is that bad considering i still have a stock tb and mac mids. if anyone is interested i will post a graph, just have to scan it first
Old 06-07-2005, 12:19 PM

Re: futral cam, stock heads dyno numbers

shows how bad the stock heads are holding you back.

seems like i've seen similar numbers on a hotcam

on a side note, seems funny to me that my stock headed, smaller cammed bolt on LS1 made 40 more hp than your LT1. again showing the good flow of the LS1 heads and LS6 intake.

Last edited by teke184; 06-07-2005 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by teke184
again showing the good flow of the LS1 heads and LS6 intake.
what a ***, using it as a reason to state the obvious.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 PM

i couldnt agree more JDM!!! i could point out how for a cam his size there are MANY people out there putting down high 390's low 400's, when he is only putting down 382. i have a friend with a f13 that put down 439 through stock heads, and his cam is only a 230/232
Old 06-07-2005, 08:19 PM

honestly though, I'm sure a set of LS6 heads and say a F.A.S.T. intake would outflow his setup.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:09 PM

lol at above.

Nice numbers though, thats right up there at the top with the most RWHP cam only cars.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 PM

Nice numbers. Where does your power peak at? How high are you revving?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Banned

Jared, what did ya get with the GM847 (234/242 .574/.595 112LSA)?

Specs are basically the same on the two cams....

Hell anything in the 350-360rwhp range is strong, post up that chart it would be cool to see what the TQ curve looks like.

Bret
Old 06-07-2005, 11:32 PM
WOT

shows how bad the stock heads are holding you back.

seems like i've seen similar numbers on a hotcam

on a side note, seems funny to me that my stock headed, smaller cammed bolt on LS1 made 40 more hp than your LT1. again showing the good flow of the LS1 heads and LS6 intake.
Welcome to 1997.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by hawk232
futral cam 234/241 .576/.598
Is that much lift really necesary for the stock heads? I thought the flow leveled off around .500? I understand it's nice to have the cam lift go above the peak flow so you hit that target lift on the way up and on the way down, but does it help any to go that far above it?
Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by FastZinTennessee
Is that much lift really necesary for the stock heads?
Yeah actually it is.... long explaination but in drag racing for years guys have been running huge lift on stock heads that level out and have been getting faster and faster.

Bret
Old 06-07-2005, 11:55 PM

Nice numbers man. The cool thing is there is more in it. Some longtubes and TB and you could see a nice gain. My old lt1 manafold wouldn't hurt anything either

I still say it acted funny on the dyno.

FastZ..my old lt1 heads peaked at around 550 lift..I ran a cam in the 650 range and it seemed to like it. We found that on a flow bench where the head peaked and feel off with no intake mounted on it seemed to be "masked" when we flowed with the intake on it. It no longer fell off but held true and had a nice flow curve up to my cam lift.

Showed me I need a better intake
Old 06-08-2005, 02:30 AM

just curious tim, how much do you want for that old intake? im looking into getting a tb soon. wait, isnt it setup for a monoblade? btw i put elijahs extra hooker catback on my car today, sounds alot better

unfortunatly the tq wasnt working on the dyno, it would not read accurate, so i have no clue where my tq lies
Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 AM

do you really think your tb is holding you back?? or even the mids for that matter? most things i've read is that the 48mm tb is only robbing about 5hp on sub 400hp cars. and that mids have only slightly less peak power gains than LTs but similar "across the rpm band" gains. hardly seems worth it to me to spend almost $1000 on mods that will make 1/4 the difference that a decent set of heads would.

i would think the first thing on the list of things to upgrade would be heads, unless you're looking for a "cam only" bragging rights. which can be fun goal.

Hawk, JDM, WOT....welcome to freaking highschool. didn't mean to **** in your wheaties
castrate me for making a simple observation.

i've got a friend with this, i've got a friend with that....:blah:
i only dynoed 382 on a half-assed tune (only picked up 7hp with the tune) and a clutch that was slipping at 5200rpms. kindda hard to get accurate readings for a cam that spins to 6600+ when it's already been slipping for 1500rpms.

grow up
Old 06-08-2005, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by hawk232
just curious tim, how much do you want for that old intake? im looking into getting a tb soon. wait, isnt it setup for a monoblade? btw i put elijahs extra hooker catback on my car today, sounds alot better

unfortunatly the tq wasnt working on the dyno, it would not read accurate, so i have no clue where my tq lies
I will make you the same deal I made frank. Give me a call. Its still siting on that stock elem car though. He picked up .2 and 2 mph over his bone stock intake. Of course he goes to 8 grand so the extra port volume and flow really helped him Its set up for a 58..not a monoblade. I got the monoblade when I got the new heads/intake. Congrats on the exhaust..can't wait to hear it. I still say you need MY headers

do you really think your tb is holding you back?? or even the mids for that matter? most things i've read is that the 48mm tb is only robbing about 5hp on sub 400hp cars. and that mids have only slightly less peak power gains than LTs but similar "across the rpm band" gains. hardly seems worth it to me to spend almost $1000 on mods that will make 1/4 the difference that a decent set of heads would.

i would think the first thing on the list of things to upgrade would be heads, unless you're looking for a "cam only" bragging rights. which can be fun goal.

H
I think he needs an TB. Reading what people think and real world are 2 different things. From reading this board you woudl never think that going to a 52 mm TB would help on a stock motor and most people say that a underdrive pulley does nothing. But..I put those mods on my car when stock and picked up .3 with no weather change. its not just luck that the fastest bolt on LT1 ran a monoblade. Most "think" that that is too much for a stock lt1 and will slow it down. Is also said that a 248 cfm headisn't enough..yet I ran 10s with em and 126 mph. I look at real world results. Everything hawk is talking about is a building block to the next level. It WILL help him with his cam only setup. I've seen with my own eyes a car pick up 40 ft lb and around 20 rwhp over mids by going to long tubes. Granted..that was on a cc306 camed car with nice heads. His gains across the band were even greater than the peak gains showed. Hawk is building this for the next level. Using your logic..why put better heads on when your choking the intake and exhaust? This is a building process.

Last edited by 95Bird; 06-08-2005 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: futral cam, stock heads dyno numbers