LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

FREE MODS (Or almost free)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 08:57 AM

FREE MODS (Or almost free)

I've had my 95 for about two weeks now. What are some good free or really cheap mods for the fourth-gens?

Removing MAF Screens, etc.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:05 AM
96z

Do not touch the MAF at all! You can do the TB bypass which is worth some power...
Old 07-17-2003, 09:16 AM

Do a search on this topic. Some free mods are !EGR, !CAGS, !AIR, port/descreen MAF, TB bypass. ! means delete, BTW. There are pros and cons to most of those except !CAGS, which is all good, and you can find all of these never-ending discussions with a search.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:30 AM

!CAGS is irrelevant to me. Dern autos.

I did a quick search and came up with a little bit of results, but not a thread dedicated to it that had a lot of info.

Yeah I've heard of the TB bypass and was going to do this to my thirdgen, but I'm curious as to how much of a gain it actually makes and why.

Oh, and as for !EGR and !AIR... I need to pass emissions... I've never seen our location do visuals though so as long as I can pass the sniffer...
Old 07-17-2003, 10:22 AM

!Donkey dong

It's the silencer tube hanging down off the intake elbow, remove it an plug it up. It will help straighten out the airflow, probably very minor hp gain if any but it can't hurt. Of the free mods the TB bypass is the best, people have dynoed as much as 5rwhp from it. You could try removing the screen from the MAF but I wouldn't bother porting it. I had mine ported for a few years then after getting a cam recently I had to find a stock MAF, the ported one was messing up the new program.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by GREGG 97Z
!Donkey dong
Good one, forgot about that (I got a 1LE elbow when my stocker ripped). Re-routing the coolant is easy, I'd definately reccommend that. As for !AIR and !EGR you might be able to pass the sniffer if you let your car warm up enough. Hopefully someone will chime in. I don't have emissions in NW Ohio.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:40 AM

Almost Free Mod

Fan Switch. It can go in for under 10 bucks depending on how picky you are.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:15 AM

DONKEY DONG.

I have a custom made plug for the "donkey dong" tube really cheap to buy if you want it. $15 shipped,Or you can buy the 1LE elbow. let me know if interested.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:00 AM

to do the !donkey dong mod, you can save yourself a ton of money and put a Pert plus shampoo bottle lid in and use the existing clamp. A bottle of pert is what 3 bucks. Good luck, the TB bypass is a GOOD mod.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:02 AM

Re: DONKEY DONG.

Originally posted by camaronutt
I have a custom made plug for the "donkey dong" tube really cheap to buy if you want it. $15 shipped,Or you can buy the 1LE elbow. let me know if interested.
Got pics of both of these?

Question, I'm assuming that the TB bypass mod is done so that the air stays as cool as possible entering the engine. Why is it designed this way in the first place?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:05 AM

It's to keep the TB from icing up in cold weather.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:06 AM

Oh... so basically irrelevant if I don't drive my car during snowy weather days?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:07 AM

Re: Re: DONKEY DONG.

Originally posted by FyreLance
Question, I'm assuming that the TB bypass mod is done so that the air stays as cool as possible entering the engine. Why is it designed this way in the first place?
It is designed to heat the incoming air to help your car warm up quicker, especially on cold days. Most of us don't drive our F-bods in the wintertime anyway.

For the !donkey dong you can use a pert plus cap and I have heard herbal essence caps and old spice deoderant caps work well too.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:13 AM

Does anybody have a picture of the !donkey dong mod done via any of the aforementioned methods? Pert Plus cap, custom plug, 1LE arm, etc.?

Also, what are the disadvantages of descreening the MAF? As long as I have a good air filter I don't see why it'd be a problem. Is it easy to do or is there a high risk in damaging the MAF while doing this mod?

Edit: I ask because my thirdgen is speed density, so I never had to worry about a MAF before.

Last edited by FyreLance; 07-18-2003 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:56 PM

I would have to pull it out of my car and take a pic. It is a very snug fit. My clamp broke a long time ago, and I don't have any sealing issues. I'll rip it out and take a pic if you want. Thanks,

Dave

Quick Reply: FREE MODS (Or almost free)